This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed Loop Maximum Dilution Limit Control using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a combustion stability index derived from an in-cylinder ionization signal to control the engine maximum EGR limit. Different from the existing approaches that use the ionization signal values to gauge how much EGR was added during the combustion, the proposed method concentrates on using the ionization signal duration and its stochastic properties to evaluate the end result of EGR on combustion stability. When the duration index or indexes are higher than pre-determined values, the EGR limit is set. The dynamometer engine test results have shown promise for closed loop EGR control of spark ignition engines.
CitationHaskara, I., Zhu, G., Daniels, C., and Winkelman, J., "Closed Loop Maximum Dilution Limit Control using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3751, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3751.
- Heywood John B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Einewall Patrik Tunestal Per Johansson Bengt “The Potential of Using the Ion-Current Signal for Optimizing Engine Stability-Comparisons of Lean and EGR (Stoichiometric) Operation” SAE 2003-01-0717
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Mauss F. “In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor” SAE 970857
- Reinmann R. Satitzkoff A. Mauss F. “Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor” SAE 970856
- Auzins John Johansson Hasse Nytomt Jan “Ion-Gap Sense in Misfire Detection, Knock and Engine Control” SAE 950004
- Zhu Guoming G. Daniels Chao F. Jim Winkelman “MBT Timing Detection and its Closedloop Control Using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal” SAE 2004-01-2976
- Haskara Ibrahim Zhu Guoming Winkelman Jim “IC Engine Retard Ignition Timing Limit Detection and Control using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal” SAE 2004-01-2977
- Zhu Guoming Haskara Ibrahim Winkelman Jim “Stochastic Limit Control and its Applications to Spark Limit Control using Ionization Feedback” 2005 American Control Conference (ACC'05) Portland, OR 2005
- Bruce Mattias Estimation of the EGR Rate in a GDI Engine Working in Stratified Mode Using the Ionization Current Linkopings University Sweden 2000
- Byttener Stefan Rogenvaldsson Thorsteinn Wickstrom Nicolas “Estimation of Combustion Variability Using In-cylinder Ionization Measurements” SAE 2001-01-3485
- Daniels Chao F. “The Comparison of Mass Fraction Burned Obtained from the Cylinder Pressure Signal and Spark Plug Ion Signal” SAE 980140
- Yoshiyama Sadami Tomita Eiji Hamamoto Yoshisuke “Fundamental Study on Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe” SAE 2000-01-2828