This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influences of Compression Ratio and Methane Additive on Combustion Characteristics in a DME-HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a spectroscopic method was used to measure the combustion characteristics of a test diesel engine when operated on dimethyl ether (DME) under a homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion process. A numerical analysis was made of the elementary reactions using Chemkin 4.0 to perform the calculations. The results of the analysis showed that compression ratio changes and the methane additive influenced the autoignition timing in the DME-HCCI combustion process. In the experiments, reducing the compression ratio delayed the time of the peak cylinder pressure until after top dead center, thereby increasing the crankshaft output and thermal efficiency. The addition of methane enabled the DME-HCCI engine to provide crankshaft output equivalent to that seen for diesel engine operation at a low equivalence ratio. This paper discusses these effects in reference to the experimental and calculated results.
CitationNomura, H., Muto, T., Nishimi, S., Shoji, H. et al., "Influences of Compression Ratio and Methane Additive on Combustion Characteristics in a DME-HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3745, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3745.
- Eng, J.A., Leppard, W.R. and Sloane, T.M, “The Effect of POx on the Autoignition Chemistry of n-Heptane and Isooctane in an HCCI Engine”, SAE paper, 2002-01-2861.
- Aoyama Taro, Hattori Yoshiaki, Mizuta Junichi, Sato Yasuo, “An Experimental Study of Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine”, Proceedings of JSAE (in Japanese), 9634477, Vol. 27, No. 2, April (1996).
- Morikawa Koji, Kaneko Makoto, Itoh Jin, Saishu Youhei, “Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine First Report -Investigation of Engine System and Realization of Compression Ignition-”, Proceedings of JSAE (in Japanese), No. 051-01, pp.5-8 (2001).
- Kaneko Makoto, Mrikawa Koji, Itoh Jin, Saishu Youhei, “Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine Second Report -Control of Auto-Ifnition by MixtureStratification-”, Proceedings of JSAE (in Japanese), No. 051-01, pp.9-12 (2001).
- Hiraya Koji, Kakuhou Akihiko, Urushihara Tomonori, Itoh Teruyuki, “A Study of Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine -Effect of Fuel Reformation during Negative Valve Overlap-”, Proceedings of JSAE (in Japanese), No. 072-02, pp.1-6, (20025006), (2002).
- Glassman Irvin, “Combustion Third Edition”, pp.594 and pp.598
- IGARASHI Tetsuya, IIDA Norimasa, “Studey of Auto Ignition and Combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engin”, Proceedings of The 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, pp.277-282, September, Japan, (1997).
- Pilling M. J., “Low-Temperature Combustion and Autoignition”, Vol. 35, Introduction XII-XVI, pp. IX-XVII
- Konno Mitsuru, “Compression ignition mechanism of methane”, Proceedings of the Mechanical Engineering Congress, 2003, Japan, Vol. III, pp. 119-120.
- Leppard, W.R., “The Autoignition Chemistry of Isobutane: A motored Engine Study”, SAE paper 881606 (1988).
- Leppard, W.R., “The Autoignition Chemstries of Primary Reference Fuels, Other Mixtures And Blending Octane Number”, SAE paper 922325 (1992).
- Shoji, H., Saima, A., Shiino, K., and Ikeda, S., “Clarification of Abnormal Combustion in a Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 101 (Section 4), pp.1885-1895 (1992).
- Shoji, H., Saima, A., and Shiino, K., “Simultaneous Measurement of Light Emission and Absorption Behavior of Unbunred Gas During Knocking Operation”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 102 (Section 4), pp.1492-1499 (1993).
- KOYAMA Takashi, IBARAGI Yasumitsu, and IIDA Norimasa, “Numerical Calculation of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Process by using an Elementary Reaction Model of Dimethyl Ether” Transaction of JSME (in Japanese), Vol. 67, No. 657B, pp.165-171, May (2001).
- Koseki Takahiro, Tamura Shinichi, and Kashiwagi Hideaki, Yoshida Koji, Shoji Hideo, Shimada Kazuto, and Shibano Kenji, “Measurement of Radical Behavior in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Using Dimethyl Ether”, 2003 SETC paper, 2003-32-0006
- Ohara, H., Ogawa, J., Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., and Saima, A., “An Analysis of Light Emission Intensity Behavior Corresponding to Intermediate Products in Different Places of the Combustion Chamber”, SETC 2001, Paper No. 200101 (1882)
- Tosaka, Y., Shoji, H., and Saima, A., “A Study of the influence of intermediate combustion products on knocking”, JSAE Review 9533460, Vol. 19, No. 3 (1995).
- Gaydon, A. G., “The Spectroscopy of Flames”, Chapman and Hall Ltd., London, 1957.
- Shoji, H., Saima, A., Shiino, K., “Clarification of OH Radical Emission Intensity During Autoigntion in a 2-stroke Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 107 (Section 4), pp.1113-1121 (1998).
- Inoue, K., Takei, K., Yoshida, K., Shoji, H., and Yamazaki, A., “Effect of EGR-Induced Hot Rasidual Gas on Combustion When Operating a Two-stroke Engine on Alcohol Fuels”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 109 (Section 4), pp.3067-3080 (2000).
- KONNO Mitsuru, CHEN Zhili, KASHIWAGI Daisuke, “Compression ignition mechanisms of methane/DME composite fuel”, Proceedings of Mechanical Engineering Congress, Japan (MECJ-04), Vol. 3, pp.119-120, (2014), (2004).
- Curran H. J. et al., “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of n-Heptane Oxidation” Combustion and Flame 114: 149-177 (1998).
- Curran H. J. et al., “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of iso-Octane Oxidation” Combustion and Flame 129: 253-280 (2002).
- Curran, H. J., W.J., Westbook, C.K., Dagaut, P., Boettner, J-C., Cathonnet, M., “A Wide Range Modeling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation”, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp.229-241, (1998).
- Collin, R., Nygren, J., Richter, M., Alden, M., Hildingsson, L., and Johannsson, B., “Studies of the Combustion Process with Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF in a Direct-Injected HCCI Engine”, Proceedings of The Sixth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engine, pp.1-7, August 2-5, 2004, Yokohama, Japan.
- Ogura Mitsuharu, Hyun Gisso, Goto Shinichi, Konno Mitsuru and Oyama Kzuya, “Spectroscopic Investigation of the Combustion Process in DME Compression Ignition Engine”, SAE paper, 2002-01-1707, pp.1-9.
- Suzuki Tsuyoshi, Ohara Hironori and Kakishima Akihiro, Yoshida Koji, Shoji Hideo, “A Study of Knocking Using Ion Current and Light Emission”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 112 (Section 3), pp.2058-2065 (2003).
- Kawahara Nobuyuki, Tomita Eiji, Kagajyo Hisashi, “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion With Dimethyl Ether -Spectrum Analysis of Chemiluminescence-”, Proceedings of JSAE (in Japanese), No.72-02, (2002).