This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studying the Efficiency of a Compact Excavator Primary Workgroup Hydraulic Control System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper studies the proportional directional control valves design influence on the energetic behavior of a mid-power compact excavator.
In particular, with reference to the hydraulic circuit actuating the primary workgroup, in the paper the hydraulic power metering performed with the boom cylinder proportional control valve is studied, and some design solution useful in reducing both the hydraulic power dissipation, and the power absorption from the machinery prime mover are highlighted.
The analysis, experimentally performed for different operating conditions, is carried out highlighting the influence of a metering configuration both on the supply pressure modulation and on the flow-rate supplied to the actuator.
The hydraulic power metering and the boom actuation hydraulic efficiency are defined for two alternative proportional control valve metering configurations and, within the limits implicitly implied on the actuation circuit architecture, a possible design solution in determining the improvement of the boom actuation system performances is investigated.
CitationBorghi, M., Milani, M., Paltrinieri, F., and Zardin, B., "Studying the Efficiency of a Compact Excavator Primary Workgroup Hydraulic Control System," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3618, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3618.
Simulation and Optimization: System Level, Component Level, Advanced Technology/Methodology
Number: SP-1989; Published: 2005-11-01
Number: SP-1989; Published: 2005-11-01
- Yoshitomo T. “Development of energy-saving pump for hydraulic power steering” JSAE Review 18 3 July 1997 310 313
- Amuliu B. P. Ali K. “Identification of power steering system dynamic models” Mechatronics 8 3 April 1998 255 270 12
- Anderson M. Johansson K. A literature Survey on Integrated Powertrain Control Chalmers University of Technology Sweden 1998
- Couderc P Callenaere J Der Hagopian J Ferraris G Kassai A Borjeson Y. Vehicle driveline dynamic behaviour: experimentation and computer simulation Journal of Sound and Vibration 1998
- Yang B.D. Chu M.L. Menq C.H. Stick-slip-separation analysis and nonlinear stiffness and damping characterization of friction contacts having variable normal load Journal of Sound and Vibration 1998
- Goetz W. Haack S. Mertlik R. Electrohydraulic Proportional and Control Systems Bosch Rexroth AG 3-9336-9805-7 1999
- Ivantysynova M. Ways for Efficiency Improvements of Modern Displacement Machines Proceedings of the 6th SICFP 1 77 92 May 26-28 1999 Tampere, Finland
- Hutala K. Nikkila P. Vahlsten P. Vilenius M. The Effet of Control to the Efficiency of the Hydrostatic Transmission Proceedings of the 6th SICFP 1 351 370 May 26-28 1999 Tampere, Finland
- Koriath H.J. Romer M. Mechatronics. Theory and Applications Bosch Rexroth AG 0-7680-0642-2 2000
- Fredriksson J. Egardt B. Nonlinear control applied to gearshifting in automated manual transmissions Proceedings of the 39 th IEEE conference on decision control Sidney (Australia) December 2000
- Pettersson M. Nielsen L. Gear shifting by engine control IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology 8 3 495 507 2000
- Bonchis A. Corke P. Rye D. Ha Q. Variable structions methods in hydraulic servosystems control Automatica 37 589 595 2001
- Noak S. Hydraulics in Mobile Equpment Bosch Rexroth AG 0-7680-0886-7 2001
- Harms H.H. Mobile Hydraulic Tecnology. Current Problems and Future Challenges Proceedings of the 7th SICFP 1 21 36 May 30 June 1 2001 Linkoping, Sweden
- Marè J.C. Moulaire P. The Decoupling of Position Controlled Electrohydraulic Actuators Mounted in Tandem or in Series Proceedings of the 7th SICFP 1 93 108 May 30 June 1 2001 Linkoping, Sweden
- Mikeska, D. Ivantysynova, M. 2002 Virtual prototyping of power split drives Proc. Bath Workshop on Power Transmission and Motion Control PTMC 2002 Bath, UK 95 111
- Zhang Q. Wu D. Reid J.F. Benson E.R. “Model recognition and validation for an off-road vehicle electrohydraulic steering controller” Mechatronics 12 6 July 2002 845 858
- Koch, F. Haubner, G. Orlowsky, K. “Lubrication and Ventilation System of Modern Engines - Measurement, Calculation and Analysis” SAE paper 2002-01-1315
- Eicker C. “Mechatronical design and realization of an electro-hydraulical steer-by-wire system” 3rd International Fluid Power Conference - 3 Ifk Aachen 2002 1 419 430
- Herkommer R. “Ways towards energy saving in hydraulic steering systems” 3rd International Fluid Power Conference - 3 Ifk Aachen 2002 1 465 474
- Ortlepp H. Future Trends in the Development of Mobile Equipment Proceedings of the 8th SICFP 1 21 30 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Horna J. Bambergera J. Michaub P. Pindlb S. Flatness-based clutch control for automated manual transmissions Control Engineering Practice 11 2003
- Kliffken M.G. Geerling G. New Developments and Trends in Hydraulics for Mobile Applications Proceedings of the 8 th SICFP 1 77 88 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Giversen S. Saving Energy in Mobile Hydraulic Systems Proceedings of the 8th SICFP 1 287 296 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Bootz A. Brander M. Stoffel B. “Efficiency analisys of hydraulic power steering systems” 8th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power - SICFP'03 7-9 May 2003 327 346
- Ivantysynova M. “Displacement controlled actuator technology - Future for fluid power in aircraft and other applications” 3 rd International Fluid Power Conference - 3 Ifk Aachen 2002 2 425 440
- Pedersen P. Munzer M. Jorgensen F. Sigurdsson H. Increasing Functionality of an Excavator with Standard Proportional Valves Proceedings of the 8th SICFP 1 549 564 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Lang T. Harms H.H. Concepts of Mechatronics and Distributed Intelligence in Mobile Hydraulics Proceedings of the 8 th SICFP 2 1155 1160 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Latour C. Bredenstein L. Sandwich Valves for Mobile Applications with a Modular Electronic Pilot Module Proceedings of the 8th SICFP 2 1265 1276 May 7-9 2003 Tampere, Finland
- Pedersen H.C. Andersen T.O. Hansen M.R. Load-Sensing Systems - A Review of the Research Contributions throughout the last Decades 4th International Fluid Power Conference Dresden 2004
- Perry A. An Energy Saving Servo Control Configuration 4th International Fluid Power Conference Dresden 2004
- Rahmfeld R. Ivantysynova M. Weber J. Displacement Controlled Wheel Loader - A Simple and Clever Solution 4 th International Fluid Power Conference Dresden 2004
- Jongebloed H. Voelkel U. Energy-Saving Valve System for Mobile Hydraulic Applications - Load-Control-System (LCS) 4 th International Fluid Power Conference Dresden 2004
- Rahmfeld R. Ivantysynova M. Eggers B. Active Vibration Damping for Off-Road Vehicles Using Valveless Linear Actuator SAE Paper 2004-01-2619 - SAE 2004 Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress and Exhibition October 26-28 2004 Rosemont, Illinois - USA
- Fujiwara, S. “High Efficiency Oil Pump Rotor With New Tooth Profile” SAE paper 2004-01-0498