This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Generating Mechanisms of Vehicle Alternators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reduction of alternator noise has become an increasingly important task in automotive industry as requirements for passenger compartment comfort increase, and other components such as the engine, exhaust system, etc. are made quieter. However, the aim of this study is to identify the noise sources of a numbers of alternator bands and to develop design guidelines to reduce the overall noise levels sacrificing the specified performance. With these guidelines, design engineers can reduce alternator noise effectively.
To identify mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic noise generation mechanisms, the alternator was reconfigured in many different ways, so as to separate each individual noise source. Noise generated by each configuration running at different speeds was measured, and its characteristics were analyzed. A special test stand was designed and fabricated, and tests were conducted in the automotive laboratory. To accomplish these goals, the diagnosis of the alternator noise is conducted in two cases, i.e., with load and without load (unloaded). In the case of unloaded, the alternator mechanical and aerodynamic noises can be identified, while in the case of with load, focus is made on alternator electromagnetic noise generation mechanism under various loading conditions and at different speeds. The results indicate that the noise levels of alternator increase with speed, but are nearly independent of loading conditions particularly at relatively higher speed. In other words, at speed range used in this study, the noise levels is a combination of aerodynamic, mechanical and electromagnetic noises, where the mechanical noise is predominant (strength ratio is between 60 - 70%) followed by aerodynamic noise (strength ratio is between 20 - 30%) with electromagnetic noise generation has the lowest level (strength ratio is 10%).
- Nabil Hammad - Automotive Engineering Department Faculty of Engineering, Al-Mataria Helwan University
- Sameh. M. Metwalley - Automotive Engineering Department Faculty of Engineering, Al-Mataria Helwan University
- A. M. A. A. Abou-El-Nour - Automotive Engineering Department Faculty of Engineering, Al-Mataria Helwan University
- Shawki A. Abouel-Seoud - Automotive Engineering Department Faculty of Engineering, Al-Mataria Helwan University
CitationHammad, N., Metwalley, S., Abou-El-Nour, A., and Abouel-Seoud, S., "Noise Generating Mechanisms of Vehicle Alternators," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3616, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3616.
- Ramesohi, I. Bauer, T. Henneberger “Calculation procedure of the sound fields caused by magnetic excitations of the claw-pole alternator” 1 st International Seminar on Vibrations and Acoustic Noise of Electric Machinery VANEN May 1998
- Kaehler, C. Henneberger, G. “Calculation of the differences in the acoustical behaviour of a claw-pole alternator when connected in delta and star” 2 nd International Seminar on Vibrations and Acoustic Noise of Electric Machinery VANEN June 2000
- Kaehler, C. Henneberger, G. “Calculation of the mechanical and acoustical behaviour of a claw-pole alternator in double and single star connection” 3 rd International Seminar on Vibrations and Acoustic Noise of Electric Machinery VANEN June 2002
- Beikmann, R. S. Perkins, N. C. Ulsoly, A. G. “Design and analysis of automotive serpentine belt drive systems for steady state performance” Traction of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 119 162 1997
- Sheng, G. Liu, K. Otremba, J. “A model and experimental investigation of belt noise in automotive accessory belt drive system” Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 1 1 2 2004
- Martini, J. Cucuz, S. “Sound power determination of automotive A/C - compressors” SAE, Paper No. 2002-01-1232 2002
- Abouel-Seoud, S. A. El-Kersh, A. M. “Aerodynamic performance and associated noise generation spectra of airfoil” 1 st Conference on Aeronautical Science and Aviation Tech. Military Technology College Cairo, Egypt 221 232 May 1985
- Abouel-Seoud, S. A. El-Kersh, A. M. Hanna, M. B. “Inlet flow conditions and associated noise level of vehicle cooling fan” 6 th International Conference for Mechanical Power Engineering Menofia University Egypt 1986
- Kato, D. J. Eaton, W. C. “Sound Quality Engineering for RV Generator Sets” SAE, Paper No. 1999-01-1816 1999
- Wu, S. F. Rivin, E. Disalvo, M. “Noise analysis of automotive alternators” SAE, Paper No. 1999-01-1712 1999
- Abouel-Seoud, S. A. Abou-El-Nour, A. M. Metwalley, S. M. “Vehicle interior noise” Al Azhar International Engineering Conference 2005