This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Semiactive Fuzzy Logic Control for Heavy Truck Primary Suspensions: Is it Effective?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using a simulation model, this study intends to provide a preliminary evaluation of whether semiactive dampers are beneficial to improving ride and handling in class 8 trucks. One of the great challenges in designing a truck suspension system is maintaining a good balance between vehicle ride and handling. The suspension components are often designed with great care for handling, while maintaining good comfort. For Class 8 trucks, the vehicle comfort is also greatly affected by the cab and seat suspensions. Dampers for passive suspensions are tuned “optimally,” using various metrics that the ride engineer may consider, for the condition in which the truck operates most frequently. In recent years, the popularity of semiactive dampers in passenger vehicles has prompted the possibility of considering them for class 8 trucks. In this study, the vehicle safety versus ride comfort trade-off is studied for a certain class of suspensions with semiactive fuzzy control. The proposed semiactive fuzzy control is based on the control policies that are commonly known as skyhook and groundhook. After describing the mathematical details of the proposed semiactive fuzzy control, it is applied to a roll-plane model of a heavy truck in order to compare its performance with conventional passive suspensions. The results of this study show that although semiactive suspensions with fuzzy logic control can improve vehicle roll, they could result in larger peak accelerations and a harsher ride.
CitationAhmadian, M., "Semiactive Fuzzy Logic Control for Heavy Truck Primary Suspensions: Is it Effective? ," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3542, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3542.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V114-2; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-2; Published: 2006-02-01
- Ahmadian, M. Pare, C. “A Quarter-Car Experimental Analysis of Alternative Semiactive Control Methods” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 11 8 604 612 August 2000
- Crosby, M. J. Karnopp, D. C. “The Active Damper,” The Shock and Vibrations Bulletin 43 Naval Research Laboratory Washington, DC 1973
- Hennecke, D. Baier, P. Jordan, B. Walek, E. “EDC III-The New Variable Damper System for BMW's Top Models-A Further Development of our Adaptive, Frequency-Dependent Damper Control,” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 900662 Warrendale, PA 1990
- Lieh, J. Li, W. J. “Adaptive Fuzzy Control of Vehicle Semi-Active Suspensions,” ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division, DSC Vol. 61 Fairfield, NJ 293 297 1997
- Sohn, H. C. Hong, K. S. Hedrick, J. K. “Semi-Active Control of the McPherson Suspension System: Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulations,” Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications Vol. 1 Piscataway, NJ 982 987 2000
- Giua, A. Seatzu, C. Usai, G. “Semi-Active Suspension Design with an Optimal Gain Switching Target,” Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 31 4 213 232 1999
- Ivers, D. E. Miller, L. R. “Experimental Comparison of Passive, Semi-active On/Off, and Semi-Active Continuous Suspensions” SAE Technical Paper Series , 892484 1989
- Zadeh, L. A. “Fuzzy Sets,” Information and Control Vol. 8 1965 338 353
- Ross, T. J. Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York 1995
- Jamshidi, M. Nader, V. Ross, T. J. Fuzzy Logic and Control, Software and Hardware Applications Prentice-Hall, Inc. New Jersey 1993
- Titli, A. Roukieh, S. “Design of Active and Semi-Active Automotive Suspension Using Fuzzy Logic,” Proceedings of the 12 th Triennial World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control Vol. 3 Pegamon, Oxford, UK 1995 73 77
- Al-Holou, N. Joo, D. S. Shaout, A. “The Development of Fuzzy Logic Based Controller for Semi-Active Suspension System,” Proceedings of the 37 th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems IEEE 1996 1373 1376
- Lieh, J. Li, W. J. “Adaptive Fuzzy Control of Vehicle Semi-Active Suspensions,” Dynamic Systems and Control Vol. 61 ASME 293 297
- Ahmadian, M. “On the Development of Fuzzy Skyhook Control for Semiactive Magneto Rheological System,” Proceedings of SPIE 2005 Smart Structures and Materials/NDE San Diego, CA March 6 - 10 2005