This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Efficiency Vehicular Gas Turbines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 07, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recuperated intercooled gas turbine cycles offer efficiencies in the 40% and higher range at medium to high loads. Although these cycles offer better low-load efficiency than other gas turbine cycles, the idle and low-load fuel consumption are still not good enough for satisfactory vehicle operation. In addition, response time to sudden demands for power is slow. The multi-pressure gas turbine allows the combustion air to enter the cycle at a different point, reducing the mass flow and the rating of the gas turbine for efficient operation at low power. Yet, the full power of the gas turbine is available quickly for acceleration or hill climbing.
CitationMackay, R. and Kesseli, J., "High Efficiency Vehicular Gas Turbines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3461, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3461.
- “Ceramic and Microturbine Program Status” Kesseli James Ingersoll-Rand Energy Systems DoE Microturbine and Industrial Gas Turbine Peer Review Washington DC 12 March 2002
- “Comparative Evaluation of Ceramic materials for Turbine Rotors” Kesseli J. B. Ingersoll-Rand Duffy S. F. Connecticut Reserve Technologies Jounkouski J. US DoE American Ceramics Society Cocoa Beach meetings January 2003
- “Advancements in the IR PowerWorks Employing a Ceramic Turbine Rotor” Kesseli Jim Sullivan Shaun Swarden Michael Ingersoll-Rand Energy Systems Duffy S.F. Cleveland State University Baker E.H. Connecticut Research Technologies Ferber Matt Oak Ridge National Laboratory Jounkouski Jill DoE OIT Kyocera Research Center IGTI Microturbine Session June 16 2003
- “Practical Vehicular Gas Turbines” Mackay Robin SAE Future Transportation Technology Conference August 20-22 2001 Costa Mesa, California
- “Micro, Industrial and Advanced Gas Turbines Employing Recuperators” Kesseli James Wolf Thomas Nash James Freedman Steven Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2003, Power for Land, Sea, and Air June 16-19 2003 Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- “CHP Packaged Systems for Supermarkets” Kesseli Jim Ingersoll-Rand Energy DOE/CETC/CANDRA Workshop on Microturbine Applications January 21-23 2003 Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- “Recuperator Optimization for Recuperated and Intercooled/Recuperated Gas Turbine Cycles” Kesseli James Wolf Tom Nash Jim Ingersoll-Rand Energy Systems American Society of Materials Jan 2000