This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Limit Cycle Oscillations in Random Cellular Automata
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work we study self-sustaining oscillations in random cellular automata models, which approximate the dynamics of neural populations in the cortex. We build on the results of previous studies, which outlined the role of random noise and non-locality of the interactions in describing phase transitions and critical phenomena in our model. The present work expands previous results by studying the effect of interacting excitatory and inhibitory neural populations with negative feedback. We show that with enough connections among the inhibitory and excitatory networks, the network’s global activations oscillate in a periodic or quasi-periodic way.
CitationWong, D. and Puljic, M., "Limit Cycle Oscillations in Random Cellular Automata," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3382, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3382.
- Diamond, M.C. Hopson, J. “Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nurture Your Child’s Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence,” New Yourk, Dutton 1998
- Freeman W. J. “How Brains Make Up Their Minds,” Columbia University Press New York 1999
- Binder, K. “Finite Size Scaling Analysis of Ising Model Block Distribution Functions,” Z. Phys. B 43 1981
- Kozma, R. Puljic, M. Balister, P. Bollobás, B. Freeman, W.J. “Phase Transitions in the Neuropercolation Model of Neural Populations with Mixed Local and NonLocal Interactions,” Biological Cybernetics 2005
- Kozma, R. Puljic, M. Balister, P. Bollobas, B. Freeman, W.J. “Neuropercolation: A Random Cellular Automata Approach to Spatio-Temporal Neurodynamics,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3305 435 43 2004
- Makowiec, D. “Stationary States of Toom Cellular Automata in Simulations,” Physical Review E 55 1999
- Puljic, M. Kozma, R. Balister, P. Freeman, W.J. “Nontrivial Limit Cycle Oscillations in Random Cellular Automata Models of Excitatory and Inhibitory Neural Populations,” Understanding Complex Systems Symposium University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 2004
- Puljic, M. Kozma, R. “Phase Transitions in a Probabilistic Cellular Neural Network Model Having Local and Remote Connections,” International Joint Conference on Neural Networks IJCNN 2003 831 835 Portland, OR July 14–19 2003
- Freeman W.J. “Mass Action in the Nervous System,” Academic Press New York San Francisco, London 1975