This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Damage Tolerance Analysis and Testing of Unbalanced Bonded Composite Repairs for Aluminum Airframes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the authors review damage mechanisms and failure modes of bonded composite repairs applied to aluminum aircraft structures, with a focus on the effects of bending on the performance of asymmetric or one-sided repairs. Failure mechanisms are elucidated using results from testing carried out during the course of the University of British Columbia Bonded Composite Repair Program (UBC-BCRP). The authors then outline the regulatory requirements for damage tolerance and describe the new methods and test data developed under the UBC-BCRP to improve the analysis of bending repairs.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Technology Guidance Document for Composite Repair to Metallic Structure|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Composites Repair Analysis Tool (ACRAT)|
|Aerospace Standard||Aircraft Ground Air Conditioning Service Connection|
CitationRomilly, D. and Clark, R., "Damage Tolerance Analysis and Testing of Unbalanced Bonded Composite Repairs for Aluminum Airframes," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3331, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3331.
- Jones R. Chiu W.K. Smith R. Engineering Failure Analysis 2 1995 117 128
- F.A.A. Advisory Circular 25.571-1C U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration 1998
- Rose L. R. F. International Conference on Aircraft Damage Assessment and Repair Melbourne, Australia 1991 202 208
- Rose L. R. F. International Journal of Solids and Structures 17 1981 827 838
- Rose L. R. F. International Journal of Fracture 18 2 1982 135 144
- Rose L. R. F. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 35 1987 383 405
- Clark R. Romilly D. SAE Transactions- Journal of Aerospace
- Kane T.R. Mindlin R.D. Journal of Applied Mechanics 55 1955 277 283
- Koutousov A. Wang C.H. International Journal of Engineering Science 40 2002 1775 1790
- Wang C.H. Rose L.R.F. International Journal of Solids and Structures 35 1998 1653 1675
- Wang C.H. Rose L.R.F. ICCM11 1997
- Joseph P.F. Erdogan F. International Journal of Fracture 41 1989 105 131
- Hart-Smith L.J. Developments in Adhesives 1 Applied Science Publishers 1981 1 43