This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Hole Quality on Drilling Carbon Composites with a ‘One Shot’ Drill Bit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Successful drilling of aerospace structures is very dependent on the quality of the holes produced. This paper investigates the relationship between drilling parameters and the quality of holes when drilling carbon composite using a ‘one shot’ drill. For the aerospace industry, where hole tolerances are very tight, an understanding of hole quality parameters is essential.
In this research, special attention is given to the effect of tool age and reaming time on the size of the hole, break outs and surface finish. The drilling process is divided into stages and the relation between the stages and quality of holes investigated. The findings from this paper can be used to minimise drilling defects corresponding to the age of the drill bit.
|Technical Paper||Spearheading Machining Technology for Aerospace|
|Technical Paper||NC Programming Automation to Drill and Countersink Dissimilar Material Stack-Ups|
|Aerospace Standard||Hole Contour, Fluid Passage, Tube Fitting|
CitationFernandes, M., Cook, C., and Alici, G., "Investigation of Hole Quality on Drilling Carbon Composites with a ‘One Shot’ Drill Bit," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3326, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3326.
- Johansson, S. Ossbahr, G. Harris, T. “A Study of the Influence of Drilling Method and hole Quality on Static Strengh and Fatigue Life of Carbon-Fibre-Reinforced Plastic aircraft Material”,” presented at 2002 SAE Automated Fastening Conference & Exhibition Chester, U.K. 2002
- Persson, E. Eriksson, I. Zackrisson, L. “Effects Of Hole Machining Defects On Strength and Fatigue Life Of Composite Laminates,” Composites: Part A 28A 141 151 1997
- Point, N. Sacco, E. “A delamination model for laminated composites,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 33 483 509 1996
- HoCheng, H. Tsao, C. “Analysis of delamination in drilling composite materials using core drill,” Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering 49 53 2003
- Hocheng, H. Tsao, C. “Comprehensive analysis of delamination in drilling of composite materials with various drill bits,” Journal of Processing Technology 140 335 339 2003
- Hocheng, H. Yen, S. B. Ishihara, T. Yen, B. K. “Fundamental turning characteristics of a tribology-favored graphite/aluminum alloy composite material,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 28 883 890 1997
- Tsao, C. Chen, W. “prediction of the location of delamination in the drilling of composite laminates,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 70 185 189 1997
- Khashaba, U. A. “Delamination in drilling GFR-thermoset composites,” Composite Structures 63 313 327 2004
- Tsao, C. Hocheng, H. “Taguchi analysis of delamination associated with various drill bits in drilling of composite material,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 44 1085 1090 2004
- Won, M. “Machining of Fiber-Reinforced Composite Laminates,” Mechanical Engineering Berkeley University of California 1999 158
- Ozaki, M. “Supervisory Control of Drilling of Composite Materials,” Mechanical Engineering Berkeley University of California 2000
- El-Sonbaty, I. Khashaba, U. A. Machaly, T. “Factors affecting the machinability of GFR/epoxy composites,” Composite Structures 63 329 338 2004
- Lachaud, F. Piquet, R. Collombet, F. Surcin, L. “drilling of composite structures,” Composite Structures 52 511 516 2001
- Fernandes, M. Cook, C. “Drilling of Carbon Composites Using a one shot drill bit. Part I: 5 stage representation of drilling factors affecting maximum force and Torque,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 2005