This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations of the Performance of Ejection Seat Cushions for Safety and Comfort
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two series of tests were conducted to investigate the performance of ejection seat cushions for safety and comfort, respectively. In the safety study, seven operational and prototype cushions were tested on the vertical deceleration tower, where the cushions were placed between the seat pan and the occupant (a 50th percentile Hybrid III manikin) and subjected to +Gz impact at 8, 10, and 12 g, respectively. In the comfort investigation, twenty volunteer subjects (12 females and 8 males) with a range of anthropometry were tested on four operational and prototype cushions over eight-hour durations. The safety performance of a cushion is evaluated by the impact transmissibility from the carriage acceleration to the peak lumbar load, whereas the sitting comfort performance is assessed in terms of the peak contact pressure and subjective survey data.
CitationCheng, Z. and Pellettiere, J., "Investigations of the Performance of Ejection Seat Cushions for Safety and Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3263, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3263.
- Cohen, D. An Objective Measure of Seat Comfort Aviation Space Environmental Medicine 1998 69 410 4
- Severance, C.M. B-2 Aircrew Seat Comfort Cushion Design and Development Northrop Grumman Corporation Palmdale, CA SAFE Association Symposium Proceedings 1997 25 32
- Perry, C.E. Nguyen, T.Q Pint, S.M. Evaluation of Proposed Seat Cushions to Vertical Impact SAFE Symposium Proceedings 2000
- Cheng, Z.Q. Pellettiere, J.A. Evaluation of the Safety Performance of Ejection Seat Cushions SAFE Symposium Proceedings 2004
- Stubbs, J. Pellettiere, J.A. Pint, S.M. Quantitative Method for Determining Cushion Comfort 2005 SAE world congress, SAE paper 2005-01-1005
- Cheng, Z.Q. Rizer, A.L. Pellettiere, J.A. Characterization of Impact Dynamics of Ejection Seat Cushions SAFE Symposium Proceedings 2002
- Pellettiere, J.A. Cheng, Z.Q. Development of an Optimized Seat Cushion Design Methodology Proceedings of 4 th Triennial International Aircraft Fire and Cabin Safety Research Conference November 2004 Lisbon, Portugal