This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Air Quality in ALS System with Biofiltration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most of the gaseous contaminants generated inside ALS (Advanced Life Support) cabins can be degraded to some degree by microbial degradation in a biofilter. The entry of biofiltration techniques into ALS will most likely involve integration with existing physico-chemical methods. However, in this study, cabin air quality treated by only biofiltration was predicted using the one-box and biofiltration models. Based on BVAD (Baseline Values and Assumptions Document) and SMAC (Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations), ammonia and carbon monoxide will be the critical compounds for biofilter design and control. Experimentation is needed to identify the pertinent microbial parameters and removal efficiency of carbon monoxide and to validate the results of this preliminary investigation.
CitationLee, S., Heber, A., and Banks, M., "Simulation of Air Quality in ALS System with Biofiltration," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3111, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3111.
- Deshusses, M. A. Hamer, G. Dunn, I.J. 1995 Behaviors of biofilters for waste air biotreatment. 1. Dynamic model development Environ. Sci. Technol 29 1048 1058
- Devinny, J. S. Deshusses, M.A. Webster, T.S. 1999 Biofiltration for Air Pollution Control CRC Press
- Fersht, A. 1985 Enzyme structure and mechanisms 2nd W.H. Freeman and Co. New York 475
- Ganeshan, P. 2005 Performance and Environmental Accounting of Air Biofiltration for Carbon Monoxide Removal MS Thesis University of Maryland College Park
- McNevin, D. Barford, J. 2000 Biofiltration as an odour abatement strategy Biochem. Eng. J. 5 231 242
- NASA 2004 Baseline Values and Assumption Document NASA
- Perry, J. I. 1995 Trace Chemical Contaminant Generation Rates for Spacecraft Contamination Control System Design NASA
- Schwarzenbach, R. P. Gschwend, P.M. Imboden, D.M. 1993 Environmental Organic Chemistry John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sharvelle, S. Banks, M.K. Heber, A.J. 2003 Waste stream characterization for a packed bed biofilter intended for simultaneous treatment of graywater and air in advanced life support system Paper 03ICES-182. Int. Conf. Environmental Systems , Vancouver, BC, CAN July 7–10