This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Prototype Pyrolysis / Oxidation System for Solid Waste Processing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pyrolysis is a very versatile waste processing technology which can be tailored to produce a variety of solid liquid and/or gaseous products. The main disadvantages of pyrolysis processing are: (1) the product stream is more complex than for many of the alternative treatments; (2) the product gases cannot be vented directly into the cabin without further treatment because of the high CO concentrations. One possible solution is to combine a pyrolysis step with catalytic oxidation (combustion) of the effluent gases. This integration takes advantage of the best features of each process, which is insensitivity to product mix, no O2 consumption, and batch processing, in the case of pyrolysis, and simplicity of the product effluent stream in the case of oxidation. In addition, this hybrid process has the potential to result in a significant reduction in Equivalent System Mass (ESM) and system complexity. This paper describes the development of a prototype hybrid pyrolysis/oxidation system which can process up to 100 grams of material. The prototype includes a multi-stage reactor and product collection, process monitoring and process control systems. Initial experiments have been done with wheat straw, as well as with chicken litter and chicken manure as analogs for human waste.
CitationSerio, M., Kroo, E., Florczak, E., Wójtowicz, M. et al., "A Prototype Pyrolysis / Oxidation System for Solid Waste Processing," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3083, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3083.
- Freeman, H.M., Ed., Standard Handbook of Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal, Sections 8.7 and 9.3, McGraw-Hill,1989.
- Corbitt, R.A. Standard Handbook of EnvironmentalEngineering, McGraw-Hill, 1990.
- Brunner, C.R. Handbook of Incineration Systems, Mcgraw-Hill,1991
- Serio, M., Kroo, E., Bassilakis, R., Wójtowicz, M. and Suuberg, E., “A Prototype Pyrolyzer for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space,” SAE 2001-01-2349, presented at the 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems, July 9-12, 2001, Orlando, Florida).
- Chen, Y., DiTaranto, M., Kroo, E., Wójtowicz, M. A., Suuberg, E. M. and Serio, M. A., Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space, Phase I Final Report, NASA SBIR contract No. NAS2-99001, Advanced Fuel Research, Inc., East Hartford, CT, June 1999.
- Serio, M. A., Chen, Y., Wójtowicz, M. A. and Suuberg, E. M., “Pyrolysis Processing of Mixed Solid Waste Streams,” ACS Div. of Fuel Chem. Prepr., 45 (3), 466-474, 2000.
- Serio, M. A., Chen, Y., Wójtowicz, M. A. and Suuberg, E. M., “Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space,” Proc. 30th Int. Conf. on Environmental Systems, Toulouse, France, 10-13 July, 2000, SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2286.
- Serio, M.A., Kroo, E., Florczak, E.H., Wójtowicz, M.A., and Suuberg, E.M., “Utilization of Solid Waste for Activated Carbon Production in Space,” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-2372.
- Serio, M.A., Kroo, E., and Wójtowicz, M.A., “Biomass Pyrolysis for Distributed Energy Generation,” ACS Div. of Fuel Chem. Prepr., 48(2), 584-589 (2003).
- Serio, M.A., Kroo, E., Wójtowicz, M.A., Suuberg, E., and Filburn, T., Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space, Phase II Final Report NAS2-00007 (Dec. 2002).
- Serio, M.A., Kroo, E., Florcazk, E., Wójtowicz, M.A., Wignarajah, K., Howard, K., and Fisher, J., “A Hybrid Pyrolysis/Oxidation System for Solid Waste Resource Recovery,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2380.