This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Biological Trickling Filter Performance for Graywater Treatment in ALS Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Bioregenerative Air Treatment for Health system has been proposed for Advanced Life Support (ALS) planetary base applications. The system will be operated as a biotrickling filter to simultaneously treat graywater and waste gas. Preliminary experiments have focused on carbon removal from a graywater simulant. Six bench scale biotrickling filter reactors were constructed and monitored continuously. After a reactor startup phase of 40 days, the average total organic carbon (TOC) removal for reactors packed with Tri-packs® packing material was 62%. A second set of experiments was designed to evaluate TOC removal using different packing materials (Bee-cell and Biobale). It was hypothesized that the alternative packing materials would reduce the effects of channeling in the reactors, thus improving TOC removal. However, TOC removal did not significantly improve during the second set of experiments. Of note is that start-up performance was higher in reactors packed with Tri-packs® than other reactors. These results indicate that selection of packing material may be an important design parameter for reduction of reactor start-up period and associated off-line time.
CitationSharvelle, S., Banks, M., McLamore, E., Kim, Y. et al., "Evaluation of Biological Trickling Filter Performance for Graywater Treatment in ALS Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3023, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3023.
- Campbell, M., Vega L., Ungar E. K. and Pickering K. D. (2003). “Development of a Gravity Independent Nitrification Biological Water Processor.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Vacouver, Canada, 2003-01-2560.
- Finger, B. W., Supra L., DallBauman L. and Pickering K. D. (1999). “Development and Testing of Membrane Biological Wastewater Processor.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, 1999-01-1947.
- Garland, J. L., Levine L. H., Yorio N. C., Adams J. L. and Cook K. L. (2000). “Graywater Processing in Recirculating Hydroponic Systems: Phytotoxicity, Surfactant Degradation, and Bacterial Dynamics.” Water Research, 34(12): 3075-3086.
- Grady, C. P. L., Daigger G. T. and Henry C. L. (1980). Biological Wastewater Treatment. New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Greenberg, A. E., Clesceri L. S. and Eaton A. D. (1992). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 18th Edition, Water Environment Federation.
- McLamore, E., Morse A., Jackson W. A. and Rainwater K. (2004). “Incorporation of a Membrane Aerated Bioreactor in a Water Recovery System.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Colorado Springs, CO, 2001-01-2461.
- Metcalf and Eddy (2003). Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse, 4th Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- NASA (2003).“Advanced Life Support Baseline Values and Assumptions Document.”
- Perry, R. H., Green D. W. and Maloney J. O. (1984). Packed Columns. Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill Book Co.: 18-19 -18-40.
- Rector, T., Garland J. L., Strayer R. F., Levine L. H., Roberts M. S. and Hummerick M. (2004). “Design and Preliminary Evaluation of a Novel Gravity Independent Rotating Biological Membrane Reactor.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Colorado Springs, CO, 2001-01-2463.
- Rector, T., Jackson W. A., Rainwater K. and Pickering K. D. (2003). “Determination of the Fate and Behavior of a Commercial Surfactant in a Water Recycle System (WRS).” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Vancouver, Canada, 2003-01-2558.
- Sawyer, C., N., McCarty P. L. and Parkin G. F. (1997). HACH Water Analysis Handbook, Third Edition, Hach Company.
- Sharvelle, S. E., Banks K. and Heber A. J. (2003). “Wastestream Characterization for a Packed Bed Biofilter Intended for Simultaneous Treatment of Graywater and Air.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Vancouver, Canada, 2003-01-2555.
- Sharvelle, S. E., Silverstein J., Klaus D. and Supra L. (2002). “Nitrogen Removal from a Urine-Soap Wastewater Using a Bioprocessor System: Process Monitoring and Control.” ICES, San Antonio, TX, 2002-01-2353.
- Sidhoum, M., Christodoulatos C., Ponce-Garcia E. and Koutsospyros A. (2003). “Grey Water Treatment under Microgravity Condtions, Mass Transfer and Kinetic Studies.” International Conference on Environmental Systems, Vancouver, Canada, 2003-01-2420.