This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Implementation and Testing of a Mechanical Counterpressure Bio-Suit System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Bio-Suit System is a modular spacesuit concept based on mechanical counterpressure. Two types of Bio-Suit leg prototypes have been developed and tested: a shape-responsive hybrid series and an elastic band series. We previously demonstrated the hybrid concept could successfully provide a uniform 29kPa counterpressure on the calf and thus developed a full-leg version. This prototype maintained a low profile but did not sustain constant volume during knee flexion. More success was achieved with two variations of elastic band prototypes. The first variation, detached bands, maintained joint mobility but encountered numerous practical difficulties. The second variation, elastic bindings, showed encouraging preliminary results and could be enhanced in the future with the use of smart materials.
|Technical Paper||Bio-Suit Development: Viable Options for Mechanical Counter Pressure|
|Technical Paper||High-Accuracy Articulated Mobile Robots|
- Liang Sim - Man Vehicle Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Kristen Bethke - Man Vehicle Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Nicole Jordan - Man Vehicle Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Cameron Dube - Man Vehicle Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Jeffrey Hoffman - Man Vehicle Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Cam Brensinger - NEMO Equipment, Inc.
- Guillermo Trotti - Trotti and Associates, Inc.
- Dava Newman - Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems Division, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
CitationSim, L., Bethke, K., Jordan, N., Dube, C. et al., "Implementation and Testing of a Mechanical Counterpressure Bio-Suit System," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2968, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2968.
- Saleh, J.H. Hastings D.E. Newman, D.J. Flexibility in System Design and Implications for Aerospace Systems Acta Astronautica 53 12 927 944 2003
- Tate, D. Lindholm, D. Harutunian, V. Dependencies in Axiomatic Design Journal of Integrated Design and Process Technology 2 3 159 166 1998
- Gershenson, J.K. Prasad, G.J. Zhang, Y. Product modularity: definitions and benefits Journal of Engineering Design 14 3 295 313 2003
- Annis, J.F. Webb, P. Development of a Space Activity Suit NASA Contractor Report 1971
- Webb, P. The Space Activity Suit: An Elastic Leotard for Extravehicular Activity Aerospace Medicine 39 376 383 1968
- Harris, G.L. The Origins and Technology of the Advanced Extravehicular Space Suit American Astronautical Society History Series 24 2001
- Korona, F. Akin, D. Evaluation of a Hybrid Elastic EVA Glove 32 nd International Conference on Environmental Systems 2002
- Korona, F. Development and Testing of a Hybrid Elastic Space Suit Glove Masters Thesis University of Maryland 2002
- Clapp, W. Design and Testing of an Advanced Spacesuit Glove Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA 1983
- Tanaka, K. Gotoh, T.M. Morita, H. Hargens, A.R. Skin Blood Flow with Elastic Compressive Extravehicular Activity Space sSit Biological Sciences in Space 17 3 227 2003
- Tanaka, K. Limberg, R. Webb, P. Reddig, M. Jarvis, C. Hargens, A. Mechanical Counterpressure on the Arm Counteracts Adverse Effects of Hypobaric Exposures Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine 74 8 827 832 2003
- Waldie, J. Bus, B. Tanaka, K. Tourbier, D. Webb, P. Jarvis, W. Hargens, A. Compression under a Mechanical Counterpressure Space Suit Glove Journal of Gravitational Physiology 9 2 93 97 2002
- Tourbier, D. Knudsen, J. Hargens, A. Tanaka, K. Waldie, J. Webb, P. Jarvis, C. Physiological Effects of a Mechanical Counter Pressure Glove Society of Automotive Engineers 2001-01-2165 2001
- Bethke, K Carr, C.E. Pitts, B.M. Newman, D.J. Bio-Suit Development: Viable Options for Mechanical Counter Pressure? AIAA/SAE International Conference on Environmental Systems Colorado Springs CO July 2004
- Schmidt, P. An Investigation of Space Suit Mobility with Applications to EVA Operations Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2001
- Pitts, B. Spacesuit: Space Craft Master's Thesis Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2003
- Newman, DJ. Bethke, K. Carr, C.E. Hoffman, J. Trotti, G. Astronaut Bio-Suit System to Enable Planetary Exploration International Astronautical Conference Vancouver Oct 2004