This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Permanent Settlement on Mars: The Architecture of the Mars Homestead Project
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Mars Homestead™ Project is an interdisciplinary effort having the following objectives:
Establish the needs for a first permanently inhabited settlement on Mars.
Develop a design for that settlement.
Identify related core facility, mining, and manufacturing technologies.
Emphasis has been placed on in-situ resource utilization (ISRU) in order to reduce transportation requirements. A preliminary programming activity has been completed and prototyping of key technologies is being planned. The ultimate goal is to build full-scale terrestrial analog that will provide an experimental platform for testing strategies for constructing permanent settlements beyond Earth.
The NASA Mars Design Reference Mission (DRM) is a detailed design for the first human missions to Mars that serves as a standard to which other proposals can be compared. The Mars Homestead design will serve the same function for the next step in Martian development, the first permanent settlement built by maximizing the use of local resources.
This paper covers the master planning, architectural, and structural aspects of the Mars Homestead Project, with emphasis on the design of sustainable and pleasant spaces that facilitate the development of a viable community by a small group of people living in isolation and extreme conditions, within the realistic engineering constraints of safety, efficiency, and expandability.
CitationPetrov, G., Mackenzie, B., Homnick, M., and Palaia, J., "A Permanent Settlement on Mars: The Architecture of the Mars Homestead Project," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2853, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2853.
- Alexander, Christopher A Pattern Language Oxford University Press 1977
- Boston, P. J. “Moving in on Mars: the Hitchhikers’ Guide to Martian Life Support,” AAS 95–487 Chapter 17 of Strategies for Mars: A Guide to Human Exploration Stoker, C. R. Emmart, C. American Astronautical Society: Science & Technology Series 86 San Diego, CA 1996
- Carmody, John Sterling Raymond Underground Space Design Van Nostrand Reinhold 1993
- Cohen, Marc Kennedy Kriss J. “Habitats and Surface Construction Technology and Development Roadmap,” Presented to the AIAA Structures Technical Committee September 4 1997 Hampton, VA
- Connors, Mary Harrison Albert “The Human Side of Marsflight: A Review of Human Factors Issues,” 241 Strategies for Mars: A Guide to Human Exploration Stoker, C. R. Emmart, C. American Astronautical Society: Science & Technology Series 86 San Diego, CA 1996
- Curtis, William Modern Architecture Since 1900 3rd ed Prentice Hall 1996 013-232273-0
- Haines, R. “Windows: Their Importance and Function in Confining Environments” From Antarctica to Outer Space: Life in Isolation and Confinement Harrison, , Clearwater, McKay Springer-Verlag 1991
- Harrison, A. Clearwater, McKay From Antarctica to Outer Space: Life in Isolation and Confinement Springer-Verlag 1991
- James G. Chamitoff, G. Barker, D. “Resource Utilization and Site Selection for a Self-Sufficient Martian Outpost.” 1998
- Kadak A.C. Dostal V. Gezelius K. Horng J. Koser J. Palaia J. IV Shwageraus E. Yarsky P. “Mission to Mars: How to Get People There and Back with Nuclear Energy” 169 176 MIT Center for Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems (CANES) September 2004 Cambridge, MA, USA
- Kennedy, Kriss “Lessons from TransHab: An Architects Experience” AIAA Space Architecture Symposium 10–11 October 2002 Houston, Texas AIAA 2002-6105
- Kim, Myung-Hee Thibeault Sheila Simonsen Lisa Wilson John “Comparison of Martian Meteorites and Martian Regolith as Shield Materials for Galactic Cosmic Rays” 1998
- NASA Human Exploration of Mars: The Reference Mission of the NASA Exploration Study Team 1992
- Mackenzie, Bruce “Building Mars Habitats Using Local Materials” 575 The Case for Mars III: Strategies for Exploration Stoker, Carol American Astronautical Society: Science & Technology Series 74 1987
- Petrov, Georgi A Permanent Settlement on Mars: The First Cut in the Land of a New Frontier Master of Architecture Thesis, MIT 2004
- Raybeck, Douglas “Proxemics and Privacy: Managing the Problems of Life in Confined Environments” From Antarctica to Outer Space: Life in Isolation and Confinement Harrison, Clearwater McKay. Springer-Verlag 1991
- van Beek, Gus “Arches and Vaults in the Ancient Near East” Scientific American 96 257 July 1987
- Wilson, J. W. Miller, J. Konradi, A. Cucinotta, F. A. “Shielding Strategies for Human Space Exploration.” NASA Conference Publication 3360 December 1997
- Zubrin, Robert Wagner, R. The Case for Mars: The plan to settle the Red planet and why we must Free Press 1996