This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Performance of a Miniature Plant Cultivation System Designed for Space Flight Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Constraints in both launch opportunities and the availability of in-flight resources for Shuttle and Space Station life science habitat facilities has presented a compelling impetus to improve the operational flexibility, efficiency and miniaturization of many of these systems. Such advances would not only invigorate the level of research being conducted in low Earth orbit but also present the opportunity to expand life science studies to outer space and planetary bodies. Work has been directed towards the development of a miniature Plant Cultivation Facility (PCF) capable of supporting the automated and controlled growth and spectral monitoring of small plant species such as Arabidopsis thaliana. This paper will present data on the design and operational performance of the PCF plant cultivation module, and the extent to which such a system may be used to support plant growth studies in and beyond low Earth orbit.
CitationHeÿenga, G., Kliss, M., and Blackford, C., "The Performance of a Miniature Plant Cultivation System Designed for Space Flight Application," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2844, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2844.
- The Arabidopsis Genome Initiative 2000 “ Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana” Nature 408 Dec. 14th 2000
- Heÿenga A.G. Stodieck L. Hoehn A. Kliss M. Blackford C. 2004 “Approaches in the Design of a Space Plant Cultivation Facility for Arabidopsis thaliana ” SAE paper 2004-01-2459 , 34 th International Conference on Environmental Systems
- Simmons D. Benoit M. Freeman J. Genova J. Hoehn A. 2002 “Designing Fluid Handling Systems for Space Life Science Experimentation” SAE paper 2002-01-2281 , 32nd International Conference on Environmental Systems
- Hoehn, A. Freeman, J.B. Stodieck, L.S. 1999 “Incubator Designs for Space Flight Application - Optimization and Automation” SAE paper 1999-01-2177 , 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems
- Heÿenga A.G. Hoehn A. Stodieck L. Kliss M. 2000 “The Design of a Mechanized Seed Sowing System for Space Flight Application” SAE paper 2000-01-2506 , 30 th International Conference on Environmental Systems