This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Off-normal Situations Related to the Operation of the Electron-VM Oxygen Generation System aboard the International Space Station
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Electron-VM Oxygen Generation System (OGS) is a main source of oxygen for crew breathing on the International Space Station (ISS) and the result of updating the Electron-V OGS that has been in successful operation for 17 years on Mir Space Station. The successful accomplishment of a manned flight program primarily has resulted in the stable operation of the system.
The paper deals with analysis of off-normal situations related to the operation of the Electron-VM on board ISS. The system switching-off analysis based on the telemetry information processing and the results of the additional tests conducted under flight and ground conditions is performed.
A principal cause of system switching-offs is a reduction in the pressure built by the circulating pumps due to ingress of gas bubbles into the suction pipeline. The results of the Electron-VM OGS switching-off analysis and the practical recommendations regarding its prevention are reviewed.
The serviceability restoration technique for the Electron-VM's key unit (the liquid unit) has been developed and tested under manned flight conditions. The liquid unit has been restored under flight conditions and being integrated in the Electron-VM is currently operated successfully on the ISS.
- E. A. Kurmazenko - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- N. M. Samsonov - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- L. I. Gavrilov - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- N. S. Farafonov - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- Ju. E. Belavencev - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- N. V. Pavlova - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- V. Ju. Proshkin - NIIchimmash, Moscow, Russia
- S. Ju. Romanov - RKK “Energija”, Korolev, Rossia
- A. G. Geleznyakov - RKK “Energija”, Korolev, Rossia
- A. M. Ryabkin - RKK “Energija”, Korolev, Rossia
- G. A. Lyubimov - RKK “Energija”, Korolev, Rossia
- O. V. Kirushin - RKK “Energija”, Korolev, Rossia
CitationKurmazenko, E., Samsonov, N., Gavrilov, L., Farafonov, N. et al., "Off-normal Situations Related to the Operation of the Electron-VM Oxygen Generation System aboard the International Space Station," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2803, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2803.
- Samsonov N.M Farafonov N.M Gavrilov N.M & etc. Experience in development and long-term operation of Mir's system for oxygen generation by electrolysis “SAE Tech. Pap. Ser.,” 2000 2000-01-2356
- Samsonov N. M. Bobe L.S. Gavrilov L.I. & etc. Water Recovery and Oxygen Generation by Electrolysis aboard the International Space Station “SAE Tech. Pap. Ser.,” 2002 2002-01-2358
- Kurmazenko E.A. Samsonov N.M. Gavrilov L.I. & etc. Operation Results Onboard the International Space Station and Development Tendency of Atmosphere Revitalization and Monitoring System “SAE Tech. Pap. Ser.,” 2004 2004-01-2494