This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Discomfort Assessment of Car Ingress/Egress Motions using the Concept of Neutral Movement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 14, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Both motion simulation and discomfort evaluation are needed for a design engineer when using a digital human model. Thanks to recent progress on motion capture and motion modeling, simulating complex motions in industrial application oriented becomes possible. However, how to evaluate the discomfort associated with such complex motions is another challenge for digital human modeling researchers. In collaboration with French car makers, we have investigated the issue of how to build generic predictive discomfort models of highly environment-constrained motions such as car ingress/egress motions. The purpose of this paper is to present a novel concept called ‘neutral movement’ and to show how it can be used for discomfort modeling of environment-constrained motions.
In this paper, the discomfort of car ingress/egress movements will be analyzed with help of the concept of neutral movement. The advantages and limitations of the proposed discomfort modeling approach will also be discussed.
CitationDufour, F. and Wang, X., "Discomfort Assessment of Car Ingress/Egress Motions using the Concept of Neutral Movement," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2706, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2706.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-6; Published: 2006-02-01
- Monnier G. Wang X. Verriest, J.P. Goujon, S. 2003 Simulation of complex and specific task-orientated movements - application to the automotive seat belt reaching SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, Montreal, 17–19 June, 2003, SAE paper 2003-01-2225
- Park, W. Chaffin, D.B. Martin, B.J. 2004 Toward memory-based human motion simulation: development and validation of a motion modification algorithm IEEE Transaction on System, Man and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and Humans 34 No. 3 376 386
- Laring, J. Forsman, M. Kadefors, R. Örtengren, R. 2002 MTM-based ergonomic workload analysis International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 30 135 148
- Monnier, G. Wang X. Dolivet, C. Verriest, J.P. Lino, F. Dufour, F. 2002 Experimental investigation on the discomfort of safety belt handling, VDI-Gesellschaft Fahrzeug- und Verkehrstechnik SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Munich 18–20 June 467 483
- Chevalot N. Wang X. 2004 Experimental investigation of the discomfort of arm reaching movements in a seated position SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, June 15–17, 2004, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, USA. SAE paper 2004-01-2141 6
- Zacher, I. Bubb, H. 2004 Strength based discomfort model of posture and movement Digital Huamn Modeling for Design and Engineering Symposium Proceedings, June 15–17, 2004, Oakland University: , Rochester, Michigan, USA. SAE Paper 2004-01-2139
- Kee, D. Karwowski, W. 2003 Ranking systems for evaluation of joint and joint motion stressfulness based on perceived discomforts Applied Ergonomics 34 167 176
- Rebiffé, R. 1969 The driving seat: its adaption to functional and anthropometric requirements Proceedings of a Symposium on Sitting Posture Grandjean E. Taylor & Francis London 132 147
- Porter, J.M. Gyi, D.E. 1998 Exploring the optimum posture for driver comfort International Journal Of Vehicle Design 19 3 255 266
- Park, S.J. Kim, C.B Kim, C.J. Lee, J.W. 2000 Comfortable driving postures for Koreans International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 26 489 497
- Kapandji, I.A. 1994 Physiologie articulaire 1, 2 & 3 5th Edition MALOINE
- Andreoni, G. Rabuffetti, M. 1997 New approaches to car ergonomics evaluation oriented to virtual prototyping Methods and Technologies for the Study of Human Activity and Behavior EURO BME 19 20
- Dufour, F. LINO, F Le Coz, J.-Y. 2001 Vehicle accessibility ATTCE 2001, Proceedings 1 367 181 185