This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using an Interactive NVH Simulator for Target Setting and Concept Evaluation in a New Vehicle Programme
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a traditional NVH process it is not possible to experience the NVH of a new vehicle until physical prototypes have been built. An interactive NVH Simulator provides a means of evaluating the binaural sound and tactile point vibrations obtained from measurements, or CAE predictions, or a combination of both, much earlier in the design cycle.
This paper describes how interactive evaluations are carried out in an NVH Simulator, illustrated by two recent applications of using it early in a new vehicle programme. In both examples engineers, attribute leaders and managers, who were not NVH experts, could be confidently involved in deciding which were the most appropriate target sounds, or which was the most cost effective design.
CitationWilliams, R., Henderson, F., Allman-Ward, M., Dunne, G. et al., "Using an Interactive NVH Simulator for Target Setting and Concept Evaluation in a New Vehicle Programme," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2479, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2479.
- CREWE, A. DISTLER, H. HEINZ, T. ‘Simulator Sound Objects - A Proposal for an Open standard on Sound Components for Driving Simulators’ SAE paper 2003-01-1440 , Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, Michigan May 2003
- ALLMAN-WARD, M. VENOR, J. WILLIAMS, R. COCKRILL, M. DISTLER, H. CREWE, A. HEINZ, T. “The Interactive NVH Simulator as a Practical Engineering Tool” SAE paper 2003-01-1505 , Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, Michigan May 2003
- ALLMAN-WARD, M. WILLIAMS, R. DUNNE, G. JENNINGS, P. “The evaluation of vehicle sound quality using an NVH simulator” Proceedings of 33 rd International Congress on Noise Control Engineering (Internoise 2004), paper n. 515
- OTTO, N. AMMAN, S. EATON, C. LAKE, S. “Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds” SAE Paper 1999-01-1822 , Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, Michigan May 1999
- BAKER, S. JENNINGS, P. DUNNE, G. WILLIAMS, R. “Improving the Effectiveness of Paired Comparison Tests for Automotive Sound Quality” Proceedings of the 11 th International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2004
- FRY, J. JENNINGS, P. WILLIAMS, R. DUNNE, G. “Understanding how customers make their decisions on product sound quality” Proceedings of the 33 rd International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering , paper n. 170
- ALLMAN-WARD, M. BALAAM, M. P. WILLIAMS, R. “Source Decomposition for Vehicle Sound Simulation” Materials and Products for Noise and Vibration Control Senlis, France July 2001