This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Tire Noise for Vehicle Noise Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The most popular method to control vehicle noise is to limit acceleration noise. Acceleration, cruise and coast tests were performed, to evaluate the tire noise contribution to acceleration and cruise operating modes. For cars, tire noise is ∼20 to 50% of the contribution to noise under acceleration. However, for large vehicles, the tire noise contribution is lower. Nevertheless, tire noise contributions reach 80 ∼ 100% in cruise conditions at 80 and 100 km/h. Based on 109 samples, increased tire noise may show some tendency to increase with tire width. During vehicle type approval, wider tires of all options for the vehicle should be used as a precaution to insure the maximum levels are measured. Within about 1 to 2 dB, it was found that it is possible to estimate on road noise from lab tests.
|Technical Paper||A Tire Noise Investigation and Test Method|
|Technical Paper||Application of Tire/Road Noise in Tire Design|
|Technical Paper||Improved Full Vehicle Finite Element Tire Road Noise Prediction|
CitationChuang, J., Lin, H., Chen, Y., and Su, T., "Study of Tire Noise for Vehicle Noise Control," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2415, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2415.
- Kuijpers Ard van Blokland Gijsjan 2001 “Tyre/road noise models in the last two decades: a critical evaluation” The 2001 International Congress and Exhibition on Noise Control Engineering Hague, Netherlands 2001 August 27-30
- Sandberg Ulf Ejsmont Jerzy A. 2002 “Tyre/road noise - Reference Book” INFORMEX Sweden
- Robertson Sandy Ward Heather Marsden Greg Sandberg Ulf Hammerstrom Ulf May 1998 “the effect of speed on noise, vibration and emissions from vehicles', Working Paper R 1.2.1 VTT Communities & Infrastructure VTT Finland May 1998
- Lelong Joël December 1999 “Vehicle noise emission: evaluation of tyre/road-and-motor noise contributions.” Inter Noise 99
- Sandberg Ulf 1999 “Low Noise Road Surfaces - A State-of-the-Art Review” Journal (E) of the Acoustical Society of Japan 20 1 1999 1 17
- “Tyres for Motor Vehicles and their Trailers and to their Fitting” June 2001
- “Motor Vehicle Noise Levels,” Council of European Communities November 2000
- “Method of Test for Tire Noise for Automobiles,” Chinese National Standard Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection Taiwan, ROC
- “Noise Emissions” United Nations August 2001
- “Acoustics-Specification of test tracks for the purpose of measuring noise emitted by road vehicles” 1994
- “Method of Test for Noise Emission of Motor Vehicles,” Chinese National Standard Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection Taiwan, ROC