This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimized Herschel-Quincke Acoustic Filter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An expression for the transmission loss for a Herschel-Quincke tube with arbitrary component lengths is derived. This expression is then used in an optimization program to maximize the transmission loss over a specified bandwidth. A key feature of the optimized design is that the resultant acoustic band pass filter response is also as flat as possible within the passband. As a result, this device is a much more versatile tool in suppressing automotive induction and exhaust noise.
CitationMcLean, I., "Optimized Herschel-Quincke Acoustic Filter," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2360, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2360.
- Herschel, J.F.W. 1833 On the absorption of light by coloured media, viewed in connection with the undulatory theory Philos. Mag. 3 401 412
- Quincke, G. 1866 Ueber interferenzapparate fur schallwellen Ann. Phys. Chem. 128 177 192
- Stewart, G.W. 1928 The theory of the Herschel-Quincke tube Phys. Rev. 31 696 698
- Hixson, E.L. Kahlbau, J.V. 1963 Quincke-tube acoustic filter for fluid ducts J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 35 1895
- Selamet, A. Dickey, N.S. 1994 The Herschel-Quincke tube: A theoretical, computational and experimental investigation J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 96 5 3177 3185
- Selamet, A. Easwaran, V. 1997 Modified Herschel-Quincke tube: Attenuation and resonance for n-duct configuration J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 102 1 164 169
- Burdisso, R.A. Smith, J.P. 2000 Control of Inlet Noise from Turbofan Engines Using Herschel-Quincke Waveguides 6 th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Maui, Hawaii, USA
- Trochon, E.P. 2001 A New Type of Silencers for Turbocharger Noise Control SAE Conference on Noise and Vibration Control, Traverse City, MI, 2001-01-1436
- Zhichi, Z. Song, L. Rui, T. Rui, G. Genhua, D. Peizi, L. 1998 Application of Quincke tubes to flow ducts as a sound attenuation device Noise Control Eng. J. 46 6 245 255
- Fuller, C.R. Bies, D.A. 1979 The effects of flow on the performance of a reactive acoustic attenuator J. Sound Vib. 62 73 92