This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Excited Noise Analysis of Exhaust
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces a cumulative effort on the phenomenon of exhaust flow exited noise. The mechanisms of engine combustion noise via the exhaust system and flow excited noise are analyzed. Engine combustion noise contributes most to tailpipe noise at lower engine speed while flow excited noise dominates the tailpipe noise at high engine speed. WAVE model, a one dimension CFD and Acoustics model, is used to distinguish the engine combustion noise and flow excited noise. Both CAE and tests based results are used to draw conclusions. The influence of single system and quasi-dual system on the tailpipe noise is compared with each other. The paper analyzes the balance of different diameter pipes to achieve the desired sound at different rpm range. The evaluation balance between interior sound and tailpipe noise is described.
CitationPang, J., Rebandt, R., Knapp, G., Qatu, M. et al., "Flow Excited Noise Analysis of Exhaust," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2352, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2352.
- Pang Jian Kurrle Philippe Qatu Mohamad Rebandt Robert “Attribute Analysis and Criteria for Automotive Exhaust Systems” SAE paper # 2003-01-0221
- Kunz Frieder H. Semi-Empirical Model for Flow Noise Prediction on Intake and Exhaust Systems SAE paper # 1999-01-1654
- Sakurai Masato Relation Between Exhaust Pulsating Flow and Radiation Noise: Development of Exhaust Radiation Noise Simulation Technology SAE paper # 2004-01-0399
- kojima Naoya Liu Benzhu Zhou Hai Relation Between the Predominance of Acoustic Resonance Noise and Air Flow in Muffler SAE paper # 951262
- Futagami Yuji Iwamoto Junjiro A Study on the Relation Between Pulsating Flow and the Noise SAE paper # 961822
- Noriaki et. al Shock Wave Development and Propagation in Automotive Exhaust Systems SAE paper # 880082
- Ayadi M. Frikha S. hennion P. Y. Characterization of Rasping noise in Automotive Engine Exhaust Ducts J. of Sound and Vibration 2001 244 1 79 106
- Selamet A. Yonak S. h. Novak J. M. Khan M. The Effect of Vehicle Exhaust System Components on Flow Losses and Noise in Firing Spark-Ignition Engines SAE paper # 951260
- Hill William E. The Pros and Cons of Valves in Automotive Exhaust Systems Inter-Noise 2002 Dearborn, MI, USA August 19-21 2002
- Suyama Eizo Inaba Motohiro Mashino Ryuo Characteristics of Dual Mode Mufflers SAE paper # 890612 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI, USA February 29 March 3 1989
- Munjal M. L. Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1987
- Inaba M. Hayakawa Y. Ishida T. A Unique dua-mode muffler SAE Paper No. 891356