This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Transmission Gear Whine Simulation and Test Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to effectively evaluate automatic transmission gear noise and vibration performance using a hemi-anechoic test facility, it is essential to understand the coupling mechanism between the transmission internals and the dynamometers and associated shafting. Once this coupling mechanism is well understood, each major frequency response of the resulting torsional vibration operating data can be properly categorized according to the source: transmission-internal, facility, or driveshaft. This knowledge helps noise and vibration engineers properly manage vibration peaks in transmission operating data by ensuring that the issue of concern is not inadvertently influenced by the facility system. Analytical simulations and tests were performed on a transmission operated in a hemi-anechoic facility to evaluate gear vibration using various driveshafts, followed by a program of vehicle testing. The objective of this study was to correlate the transmission gear whine simulation results with corresponding hemi-anechoic cell and vehicle level operating vibration data and to investigate if the hemi-anechoic test data could be used in vehicle level transmission gear whine target setting.
CitationCheng, Y., Abe, T., and Wilson, B., "Automatic Transmission Gear Whine Simulation and Test Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2290, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2290.
- Donley M.G. Lim T.C. Steyer G.C. “Dynamic Analysis of Automotive Gearing Systems,” J. of Passenger Cars 101 77 87 1992
- Steyer G.C. Lim T.C. “System Dynamics in Quite Gear Design,” Proceedings of the 9 th International Modal Analysis Conference 999 1005 1991
- Donley M. G. et al “Modeling Of A Driveline System Using A Building Block Approach,” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference 1999-01-1762
- Chung C-H. Steyer G. Abe T. Clapper M. Shah C. “Gear Noise Reduction Through Transmission Eoor Control and Gear Dynamic Tuning,” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, 1999-01-1766 1999
- Abe T. et al “The Ford Motor Company Spin-Torsional NVH Test Facility,” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, 1999-01-1837