This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Acoustic Enhancement Using Chemistry to Formulate A Spray-On Constrained Layer Vibration Damper
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Maintaining or improving acoustic and vibration quality of vehicles, the automotive industry continually faces design goals to reduce weight and manufacturing cost. In light of these objectives, advanced material design techniques facilitate the development of a high performance bulk applied constrained layer vibration damper aimed at improved automotive acoustics.
The overall vehicle acoustic and vibration quality relies heavily on floor pan vibration dampers. A review of current industry damping technologies is addressed. Industry migration to bulk applied extensional dampers from the once ubiquitous asphalt sheet damper is discussed. Furthermore, this paper addresses the development of a new bulk applied constrained layer damper technology that delivers superior acoustical performance. The paper presents the chemistry formulation, the prediction of analytical results, and experimental validation.
CitationBevan, J., Weber, P., and King, K., "Acoustic Enhancement Using Chemistry to Formulate A Spray-On Constrained Layer Vibration Damper," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2278, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2278.
- Kerwin, E. M. “Damping of Flexural Waves by a Constrained Viscoelastic Layer,” JASA 31 7 July 1959 952 962
- Ball, G. L. Salyer, I. O. “Development of a Viscoelastic Composition having Superior Vibration-Damping Capability,” JASA 39 4 1966 663 673
- Sophiea, D. Xiao, H. “A New Light Weight, High Performance, Spray Applied Automotive Damping Material,” Proceedings of the 1999 Noise and Vibration Conference 1 177 180
- Hartman, B. “Relation of Polymer Chemical Composition to Acoustic Damping,” Polymer Physics Group, Naval Surface Warfare Center American Chemical Society 1990
- Sperling, L.H. “Sound and Vibration Damping with,” 1990 American Polymers Basic Definitions and Concepts Chemistry Society
- Lewis, T. Jackson, P. Nwankwo, O. “Design and Implementation of a Damping Material Measurement/Design System,” Proceedings of the 1999 Noise and Vibration Conference 1
- Nashif, A. D. Jones, D. I. G. Henderson, J. P. “Vibration Damping,” John Wiley & Sons 1985 260
- Bendat, J. S. Piersol, A. G. “Engineering Applications of Correlation and Spectral Analysis,” John Wiley & Sons 1993 79