This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption of Diesel Engines -2nd report: Mechanism of Oil Film Generation on Piston Skirt-
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The requirement for the reduction of lubricating oil consumption of diesel engines has become increasingly important in reducing the effect of exhausted oil on after treatment devices for exhaust gas. In our first report, findings indicated that piston skirt length affected oil consumption, and they clearly showed that the oil film on the piston skirt should be considered in the calculation for oil consumption. In this report, the mechanism of oil film generation on the piston skirt is investigated. The oil film on the piston skirt is calculated and the effect of piston motion on the oil film region is clarified, i.e., considering the piston rotation around the top of the piston skirt at the anti-thrust side is important for the calculation of the oil film region.
CitationNAKAMURA, M., HAYASHI, H., and ITO, A., "A Study on the Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption of Diesel Engines -2nd report: Mechanism of Oil Film Generation on Piston Skirt-," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2167, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2167.
- Ito, A. et al. 2004 “A Study on the Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption of Diesel Engines. Part 1,” SAE Paper
- Furuhama, S. et al. 1984 “Tribology of Automotive Engines” 133 150
- Kawamoto, J. et al. 1977 “Study of the Mechanism of Engine Oil Consumption (Part II) -Oil Rise on a Piston Surface-” 22 12 788 795
- Tian, T. et al. 1996 “Modeling Piston-Ring Dynamics, Blowby, and Ring-Twist Effects,” ASME, ICE 27 2 67 80
- Suzuki, T. et al. 1989 “Simulation of the Distribution of Lubricating Oil Film on the Piston Skirt,” JASME 55 511 768 773
- Suzuki, T. et al. 1991 “Distribution and Behavior of Lubricating Oil Film on the Piston Skirt of Air-compressors,” JASME 57 542 3603 3608
- Takiguti, M. et al. 1997 “Friction of the Piston Effected by the Piston Pin Set off the Center,” JASME 97 1 33 34
- Furuhama, S. 1983 “Piston Slap Motion and Engine Noise under Low Temperature Idling Operation of Diesel Engines,” SAE 830066 1173 1186
- Fujimoto, M. et al. 1985 “The Experimental Study of the Piston Slap of Diesel Engines,” JASME 51 470 3272 3280