This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Inhomogeneities in HCCI Combustion: An Imaging Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A four-valve-pentroof, direct-injection, optical engine fueled with n-heptane has been operated at four different steady-state HCCI operating conditions including 10% and 65% residuals, both at low and high swirl conditions. Both, planar toluene LIF and volume chemiluminescence show large scale inhomogeneity in the ensemble averaged images. The interpretation of the toluene-tracer LIF signals (when premixed with the fresh-air charge) as a marker for reaction homogeneity is discussed. A binarization scheme and a statistical analysis of the LIF images were applied to the per-cycle planar-LIF images revealing inhomogeneities both from cycle-to-cycle and within the regions of individual cycles that track with the average heat release rate. Comparison of these two homogeneity metrics between the four operating conditions reveals weak but discernable differences.
CitationReuss, D. and Sick, V., "Inhomogeneities in HCCI Combustion: An Imaging Study," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2122, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2122.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V114-4; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-4; Published: 2006-02-01
- Zhao F. Asmus T. W. Assanis D. N. Dec J. E. Eng J. A. Najt P. M. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines: Key Research and Development Issues 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers Pittsburgh, PA. 600
- Hultqvist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Franke A. Richter M. Alden M. “A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3680 1999
- Hultqvist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Richter M. Nygren J. Hult J. Alden M. “The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle-High-Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0424 2002
- Richter M. Engström J. Franke A. Aldén M. Hultquist A. Johannson B. “The influence of charge inhomogeneity on the HCCI combustion process,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2868 2000
- Richter M. Franke A. Alden M. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. “Optical Diagnostics Applied to a Naturally Aspirated Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3649 1999
- Graf N. Gronki J. Schulz C. Baritaud T. Cherel J. Duret P. Lavy J. “In-Cylinder Combustion Visualization in an Auto-Igniting Gasoline Engine using Fuel Tracer- and Formaldehyde-LIF Imaging,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1924 2001
- Collin R. Nygren J. Richter M. Aldén M. Hildingsson L. Johansson B. “Simultaneous OH- and Formaldehyde-LIF Measurements in an HCCI Engine,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3218 2003
- Schulz C. Sick V. “Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of fuel concentration, temperature and fuel/air ratio in practical combustion systems,” Prog. Energy Combust. Science 31 75 121 2005
- Han D. Steeper R. “Examination of Iso-octane/Ketone Mixtures for Quantitative LIF Measurements in a DISI Engine,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0837 2002
- Lin M.-T. Sick V. “Mixture Evaporation Characteristics Prediction for LIF Measurements Using PSRK (Predictive Soave-Redlich-Kwong) Equation of State,” SAE Transactions, Journal of Fuels & Lubricants 1490 1499 2002
- Frieden D. Sick V. Gronki J. Schulz C. “Quantitative oxygen imaging in an engine,” Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics 74 137 141 2002
- Heywood J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals 1988 McGraw-Hill
- Stojkovic B. D. Sick V. “Evolution and impingement of an automotive fuel spray investigated with simultaneous Mie/LIF techniques,” Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics 73 1 75 83 2001
- Thurber M. C. Grisch F. Kirby B. J. Votsmeier M. Hanson R. K. “Measurements and modeling of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with implications for temperature-imaging diagnostics,” Applied Optics 37 21 4963 4978 1998
- Koban W. Koch J. Hanson R. K. Schulz C. “Absorption and Fluorescence of Toluene Vapor at Elevated Temperatures,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 6 2940 2945 2004
- Koban W. Schulz C. “Toluene oxygen quenching.,” Applied Physics B 2004
- Warnatz J. Maas U. Dibble R. W. Combustion 2 1999 Berlin Springer Verlag 299
- Hult J. Richter M. Nygren J. Aldén M. Hultqvist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. “Application of a High-Repetition-Rate Laser Diagnostic System for Single-Cycle-Resolved Imaging in Internal Combustion Engines,” Applied Optics 41 24 5002 5014 2002
- Reuss D. L. Sick V. Investigation of HCCI Combustion with Combined PLIF Imaging and Combustion Analysis 3rd Joint Meeting of the US Sections of the Combustion Institute 2003 Chicago, Ill.
- Koban W. Koch J. D. Sick V. Wermuth N. Hanson R. K. Schulz C. “Predicting LIF signal strength for toluene and 3-pentanone under engine-related temperature and pressure conditions,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 30 2004