This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Airflow and Fuel Spray Interaction in a Gasoline DI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two optical techniques together with a CFD simulation have been used to study the interaction of intake airflow with the injected fuel spray in a motored direct injection gasoline engine. The combustion chamber was of a pent-roof construction with the side-mounted injector located low down between the inlet valves injecting at a 54° angle to the cylinder axis. The two-dimensional piston bowl shape allowed optical access for the Mie scatter technique to be used to investigate the liquid fuel behaviour in the central axial plane of the cylinder lying midway between the two inlet valves and passing through the centre line of the injector nozzle. A second set of images was obtained using backlighting, this time looking through the glass cylinder liner directly towards the injector. The in-cylinder simulation was run using the VECTIS software. Measurements and simulations were conducted for a range of early SOI timings between 20° and 80° ATDC. The results demonstrated clearly that the incoming airflow tended to flatten the jet and constrain it towards its centreline.
CitationAlexander, P., Begg, S., Heikal, M., Li, G. et al., "Airflow and Fuel Spray Interaction in a Gasoline DI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2104, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2104.
- Han, Z., Reitz, R.D., Yang, J., Anderson, R.W. Effects of Injection Timing on Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine. SAE 970625
- Han, Z., Fan, L., Reitz, R.D. Multidimensional Modeling of Spray Atomization and Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine. SAE 970884
- Stanglmaier, R.H., Hall, M.J., Matthews, R.D. Fuel- Spray/Charge-Motion Interaction within the Cylinder of a Direct-Injected, 4-Valve, SI Engine. SAE 980155
- Alger, T., Hall, M., Matthews, R. Fuel Spray Dynamics and Fuel Vapor Concentration Near the Spark Plug in a Direct-Injected 4-Valve SI Engine, University of Texas Austin, SAE 1999-01-0497
- Himes, M., Farrel, P.V., Intake Air Velocity Measurements for a Motored Direct Injection Spark Ignited Engine. SAE Paper 1999-01-0499.
- Yi, J., Han, Z., Yang, J., Anderson, R., Trigui, N., Boussarsar, R. Modeling of the Interaction of Intake Flow and Fuel Spray in DISI Engines. SAE 2000-01-0656.
- Begg, S., PhD Thesis: In-Cylinder Airflow and Fuel Spray Characteristics for a Top-Entry, Direct Injection, Gasoline Engine, University of Brighton 2003.