This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Absorption and Fluorescence Data of Acetone, 3-Pentanone, Biacetyl, and Toluene at Engine-Specific Combinations of Temperature and Pressure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Quantitative planar laser-induced fluorescence measurements of fuel/air mixing in engines are usually based on the use of fluorescence tracers. The strength of the signals often depends on temperature, pressure and mixture composition. This complicates a quantitative analysis. The use of a small-bore optical engine for fundamental studies of absorption and fluorescence properties of fluorescence tracers is described. The temperature, pressure and composition dependence of the spectra of toluene, acetone, 3-pentanone, and biacetyl are examined under motored conditions to extend the experimental data base for the development of comprehensive models that predict the strength of fluorescence signals for a given condition.
CitationWermuth, N. and Sick, V., "Absorption and Fluorescence Data of Acetone, 3-Pentanone, Biacetyl, and Toluene at Engine-Specific Combinations of Temperature and Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2090, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2090.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V114-4 ; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-4 ; Published: 2006-02-01
- Zhao H. and Ladommatos N., Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics. 2001, Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Kohse-Höinghaus K. and Jeffries J. B., eds. Applied Combustion Diagnostics. 2002, Taylor and Francis: New York.
- Schulz C. and Sick V., “Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of fuel concentration, temperature and fuel/air ratio in practical combustion systems,” Prog. Energy Combust. Science 31, 75-121 (2005).
- Koban W., Koch J. D., Sick V., Wermuth N., Hanson R. K. and Schulz C., “Predicting LIF signal strength for toluene and 3-pentanone under engine-related temperature and pressure conditions,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 30, in press (2004).
- Frieden D. and Sick V., “Investigation of the fuel injection, mixing and combustion processes in an SIDI engine using quasi-3D LIF imaging,” SAE Paper 2003-01-0068 (2003).
- Frieden D. and Sick V., “A two-tracer LIF strategy for quantitative oxygen imaging in engines applied to study the influence of skip-firing on in-cylinder oxygen contents of an SIDI engine,” SAE Paper 2003-01-1114 (2003).
- Thurber M. C., Grisch F., Kirby B. J., Votsmeier M. and Hanson R. K., “Measurements and modeling of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with implications for temperature-imaging diagnostics,” Appl. Opt. 37 (21), 4963-4978 (1998).
- Thurber M. and Hanson R. K., “Pressure and composition dependence of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with excitation at 248, 266 and 308 nm,” Appl. Phys. B 69, 229-240 (1999).
- Koch J. D. and Hanson R. K., “Temperature and excitation wavelength dependencies of 3-pentanone absorption and fluorescence for PLIF applications,” Appl. Phys. B 76, 319-324 (2003).
- Koban W., Koch J., Hanson R. K. and Schulz C., “Absorption and Fluorescence of Toluene Vapor at Elevated Temperatures,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 6, 2940-2945 (2004).
- Reuss D. L. and Sick V., “Spatial mixing, ignition and combustion inhomogeneities in HCCI combustion: an imaging study,” SAE Paper 2005-01-2122 (2005).
- Sick V. and Wermuth N., “Single-shot imaging of OH radicals and simultaneous OH radical/acetone imaging with a tunable Nd:YAG laser,” Appl. Phys. B 79, 139-143 (2004).
- Zhang R., Wermuth N. and Sick V., “Impact of fluorescence tracers on combustion performance in optical engine experiments,” SAE Paper 2004-01-2975 (2004).
- Großmann F., Monkhouse P. B., Ridder M., Sick V. and Wolfrum J., “Temperature and pressure dependences of the laser-induced fluorescence of gas-phase acetone and 3-pentanone,” Appl. Phys. B 62, 249-253 (1996).
- Einecke S., Schulz C. and Sick V., “Measurement of temperature, fuel concentration and equivalence ratio fields using tracer LIF in IC engine combustion,” Appl. Phys. B 71 (5), 717-723 (2000).
- Lozano A., Laser-Excited Luminescent Tracers for Planar Concentration Measurements in Gaseous Jets, PhD Thesis. 1992, Stanford University.
- Zhang R., Schubert A., Wermuth N. and Sick V., “unpublished work,” (2004).
- Bell W. E. and Blacet F. E., “Photolysis of biacetyl,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 76, 5332-5337 (1954).
- Reboux J. and Puechberty D., “A new approach of PLIF applied to fuel/air ratio measurement in the compressive stroke of an optical SI engine,” SAE Paper 941988 (1994).
- Baritaud T. and Heinze T., “Gasoline distribution measurements with PLIF in a SI engine,” SAE Paper 922355 (1992).