This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Underhood Cooling Simulation for Development of New Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article presents the methodology used to perform complete three-dimensional thermo-fluid-dynamic simulations of the underhood compartment for new vehicles. The task is to identify major thermal risks at an early stage in the vehicle design; that is before any prototype vehicle is built and during the evolution of underhood components and external style. Thus, a better balance between simulation detail, accuracy and required time will be established.
The simulation takes into account the external vehicle style, shape of air inlets, cooling pack performances, engine and a/c heat rejection to cooling air and hot components temperature in the underhood. Both convection and radiation are simulated. Main results are found for the air flow rate and distribution on the heat exchangers and complete velocity and temperature distributions in the underhood. Two driving conditions are considered: low (climb) and high speed, based on Fiat Test Standard. Final result is a list of warnings and suggestions for vehicle thermal design.
The application of the methodology to an actual project is presented. Quite close agreement has been found with tests on early prototypes.
CitationFortunato, F., Damiano, F., Matteo, L., and Oliva, P., "Underhood Cooling Simulation for Development of New Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2046, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2046.
- Powerflow User's Guide
- STAR-CD User Guide
- Ensight User Guide
- Costelli A. Gabriele P. Giordanengo D. “Experimental Analysis of Engine Cooling Systems” SAE Paper 790397
- Andra R. Kumar K. Hyptopoulos E. “The Effect of Boundary and Geometry simplification on the numerical Simulation of Front-end Cooling” SAE Paper 980395
- Williams J. Vegamanti G. “CFD Quality - a Calibration Study for Front-end Cooling Airflow” SAE Paper 980039
- Arbia G. Morrone B. Rotondo G. Fortunato F. Oliva P. “Numerical Simulations of Fluid-dynamic Codes for Advanced Modeling of Engine Cooling Systems” ATI 2002
- Fortunato F. Oliva P. Imparato E. Sgulò S. Manca O. “Thermofluid-dynamic Simulation of Transient Behaviors in Internal Combustion Engines Cooling Systems” Fluent Users' Group Meeting 2003
- Skea A. Jolliffe A. “Integrated Underbonnet Thermal Management Simulation”
- Shuster M. “Application of CFD as an Efficient Analysis Tool Supporting the Experimental Investigation of Underhood and Underbody Vehicle Flow”