This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Clutch Cycling Mode of Compressor Capacity Control of Transcritical R744 Systems Compared to R134a Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents an experimental analysis of the performance of a prototype air conditioning system based on transcritical operation with R744 as the refrigerant. A comparative analysis of the performance of three systems is also presented: two R744 (with back pressure and manual expansion valves) and R134a with a fixed area orifice tube.
Results show that there is an optimal setting of the back pressure valve in cycling conditions that maximizes COP for the R744 system. That is very important because the system operates most of the time in cycling mode, where there is excessive capacity, and the objective is to maximize COP. Furthermore, it is shown that those values follow the same relation as developed for non-cycling operation.
|Technical Paper||CO2 Automotive A/C System Optimum High Pressure Control|
|Technical Paper||Energy Efficient R744 A/C System Thanks to Torque Estimation|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Control Strategies for Compressor Rapid Cycling|
CitationMcEnaney, R. and Hrnjak, P., "Clutch Cycling Mode of Compressor Capacity Control of Transcritical R744 Systems Compared to R134a Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2033, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2033.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V114-6 ; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-6 ; Published: 2006-02-01
- Pettersen, J., Aarlien, R., Neksaa, P., Skaugen, G. and Aflekt, K., 1997, A comparative evaluation of CO2 and R22 residential air-conditioning systems in a Japanese climate. IIR/IEA Workshop in CO2 technology in refrigeration, heat pumps and air conditioning systems, Trondheim, Norway.
- Pettersen, J., Skaugen, G., 1994, Operation of transcritical CO2 vapor compression circuits in vehicle air conditioning, Proceedings of the IIR Gustav Lorentzen conference - New Applications of Natural Working Fluids in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, pp. 495-505
- Boewe, D., J., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S., 1999, An experimental investigation of transcritical carbon dioxide systems for residential air conditioning. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, ACRC CR-18.
- Boewe, D., Yin, J. M., Park, Y. C., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S.: The role of the suction line heat exchanger in transcritical R744 mobile a/c systems. SAE paper 1999-01-0583, 1999.
- McEnaney, R., Park, Y. C., Yin, J. M., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S., 1999a: Performance of the prototype of a transcritical R744 mobile a/c system. SAE paper 1999-01-0872.
- McEnaney, R. P., Boewe, D. E., Yin, J. M., Park, Y. C., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S. 1998: Experimental comparison of mobile a/c systems when operated with transcritical CO2 versus conventional R134a, International Refrigeration Conference at Purdue, pp.145-150.
- McEnaney, R. and Hrnjak, P. S. 2000: Control Strategies for Transcritical R744 Systems. SAE paper 2000-01-1272.
- McEnaney, R., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S., 1999b, An Investigation of Control-Related Issues in Transcritical R744 and subcritical R134a Mobile Air Conditioning Systems, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, ACRC CR-21.
- Park, Y. C., Yin, J. M., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S. Hrnjak. 1999: Experimental and model analysis of control and operating parameters of transcritical CO2 mobile A/C system. VTMS, London.
- Yin, J. M., Park, Y. C., McEnaney, R. P., Boewe, D. E., Beaver, A., Bullard, C. W. and Hrnjak, P. S. 1998: Experimental and model comparison of transcritical CO2 versus R134a and R410A system performance. IIR conference Gustav Lorentzen, Oslo, Proceedings, Preprints, pp. 331-340.