This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Mixture Formation Process in a HDDI Diesel Engine by CFD and Imaging Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper aims at providing information about the spray structure and its evolution within the combustion chamber of a heavy duty direct injection (HDDI) diesel engine. The spray penetration is investigated, firstly under quiescent conditions, injecting the fuel in a vessel under ambient temperature and controlled back pressure by both numerical and experimental analyses using the STAR-CD code and the imaging technique, respectively. Experimental results of fuel injection rate, fuel penetration, and spray cone angle are used as initial conditions to the code and for the comparison of predictions.
The experimental investigation is carried out using a mechanical injection pump equipped by the heavy duty eight cylinder engine. Only one of its plungers has been activated and the fuel is discharged through a seven holes mechanical injector, 0.40 mm in diameter. Measurements of fuel injection rate have been performed at 900 rpm pump speed by the AVL Bosch tube at engine loads ranging between 10 to 100% that correspond to the injected fuel from 85 to 600 mg/str. Spray tip penetrations have been measured by an imaging technique in an optically accessible high pressure vessel at different instant from the start of injection and different load conditions.
CFD analysis is first focused on in-cylinder flow structure during the intake and compressions strokes to evaluate the swirl and turbulence intensity, as well the tangential profile of the air velocity within two combustion chambers having a different geometry. The prediction of liquid fuel and vapour mass fraction is carried out at 50 and 100% spray load rates considering different jet orientation with respect to the combustion chamber cavities. The predictions are carried to estimate the influence of both shape and jet orientation on the spray behaviour.
- L. Allocca - Istituto Motori, CNR, Napoli - Italy
- M. Auriemma - Istituto Motori, CNR, Napoli - Italy
- F. E. Corcione - Istituto Motori, CNR, Napoli - Italy
- G. Valentino - Istituto Motori, CNR, Napoli - Italy
- S. Fontanesi - Università di Modena - Italy
- V. Gagliardi - Università di Modena - Italy
- S. Malaguti - Università di Modena - Italy
- G. Riganti - Isotta Fraschini Motori, Bari - Italy
CitationAllocca, L., Auriemma, M., Corcione, F., Valentino, G. et al., "Investigation of Mixture Formation Process in a HDDI Diesel Engine by CFD and Imaging Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1918, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1918.
- Bergstrand, P., Dsembratt, I.,“Diesel Combustion with Reduced Nozzle Orifice Diameter”, SAE Paper 2001-01-2010
- Gaillard, P., Hedna, M., “Performance Development of the First European Heavy Dudty Diesel Engine Equipped with Full Electronic High Injection Pressure Common Rail System”, SAE Paper 2000-01-1821
- Miles, P.C., RempelEwert, B.H., Reitz, R.D., “Squish-Swirl and Injection Swirl Interaction in Direct-Injection Diesel Engines”, SAE_NA 2003-01-76
- Allocca L., Alfuso S., Corcione F.E.: “Assessment of Dynamic Performances of Diesel Solenoid Injectors for Multiple Injection Common Rail System” SAE_NA 2003-01-21, ICE 2003-Capri, Sept. 14-19, 2003
- di Stasio S. (1999). Proceedings of the international meeting ICE'99 Internal Combustion Engines: Experiments and Modeling, Capri 12-16 September
- di Stasio S., Alfuso S., Allocca L., Corcione F.E.: “Experimental Study on the Atomization Mechanism for Fuel Sprays Evolving in Atmospheres of Different Nature and Density” - ImechE Seminar Pubblication 1999-17, pp.241-255.
- CD-Adapco group ltd, STAR-CD user man, London
- CD-Adapco group ltd., STAR-CD methodology, London, 1998
- CD-Adapco group ltd, es-ice user man, London, 1998
- Gosman, A. D., Watkins, P., “A computer prediction method for turbulent flow and heat transfer in piston/cylinder assemblies”, Proceedings of a Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows, Pennsylvania State University, 1977
- El Tahry, S.H., “K-ε equation for compressible reciprocating engine flows”, J. Energy, Vol. 7,N. 4, 1983
- Versteeg, H. K., Malalasekera, W., “An introduction to computational fluid dynamics. The finite volume method”, Longman, 1995
- Huh, K. Y., Gosman, A. D., “A phenomenological model of Diesel spray atomization”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Multiphase Flow, Vol. 2, pp. 515-518, Tsuquba, 1991
- Reitz, R. D., Diwakar, R. “Effect of drop breakup on fuel sprays” SAE Paper 860469, 1986
- Hsiang, L. P., Faeth, G. M., “Near-limit drop peformation and secondary breakup”, Multiphase Flow, vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 635-652, 1992
- Bai, C., Gosman, A. D., “Development and methodology for spray impingement simulation”, SAE Paper 950284, 1995
- Perry, R. H., Green, D. W., “Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook”, McGraw-Hill, 1997
- Ferrari, G., “Motori a combustione interna”, Il Capitello, 1996
- Cantore, G., Fontanesi, S., Montorsi, L., Ortolani, P., “Comparison between steady and unsteady CFD simulations of two different port designs in a four valve HSDI Diesel engine: swirl intensity and engine permeability”, ASME Paper ICE2004-908
- Fontanesi, S., Mattarelli, E., Montorsi, E., “Numerical analysis of swirl control strategies in a four valve HSDI Diesel engine”; ASME Paper ICE2004-909
- Alfuso S., Allocca L., Corcione F.E., di Stasio S.: “Atomization mechanisms of an evaporating Common Rail Diesel spray in high pressure environment” - Proceedings 15th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems - ILASS-Europe '99, Toulouse (France) 1999.
- Arcoumanis C., Gavaies M., French B.: “Effect of Fuel Injection Processes on the Structure of Diesel Sprays”, SAE Paper 970799
- Bianchi, G.M., Fontanesi, S., “On the Applications of Low Reynolds Cubic k-ε Turbulence Models in 3D Simulations of ICE Intake Flows”, SAE Paper 2032-01-0003, 2002
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal combustion engine fundamentals”, McGraw Hill International Ed., 1988
- O' Rourke, P. J.,“Collective drop effects on vaporizing liquid sprays”, PhD. Thesis, Univ. of Princeton, 1981
- Yi, Y., Reitz, R. D., “Modelling the effect of primary atomization on Diesel engine emissions”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1041, 2003
- Arcoumanis, C., Cossali, E., Whitelaw, J. H., “Measurement of tip penetration of confined high-density transient jets by laser beam deflection”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 6, 1988