This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Automotive Tire Contact Stress Under Real Rolling Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a method of simultaneously measuring the normal and shear stresses in the tire-road contact patch. For this purpose a tri-axial road transducer was designed to work under real rolling conditions. Its design allows the real contact surface to remain unaltered. The tests were performed using passenger car and truck tires, in braking, traction and free rolling conditions. The resulting stress distributions on the contact patch length are displayed as contour or relief maps. The rolling conditions are strongly influencing the longitudinal stress distribution.
CitationAnghelache, G., Moisescu, R., Ciubotaru, O., and Dragomir, C., "Investigation of Automotive Tire Contact Stress Under Real Rolling Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1822, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1822.
- Anghelache, G., Negrus, E.M., Ciubotaru, O. - “Investigation of Shear Stresses in the Tire-Road Contact Patch”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1273.
- De Beer, M., Fisher, C. - “Contact Stresses of Pneumatic Tires Measured with the Vehicle-Road Surface Pressure Transducer Array (VRSPTA) System for the University of California at Berkeley”, Volume 1, Contract Research Report CR-971053, 1997.
- Howell, W.E., Perez, S.E., Vogler, W.A. - “Aircraft Tire Footprint Forces”, in The Tire/Pavement Interface, ASTM STP 929, edited by Pottinger, M.G. and Yager, T.J., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1985.
- Lippmann, S.A. - “Effects of Tire Structure and Operating Conditions on the Distribution of Stress Between the Tread and the Road”, in The Tire/Pavement interface, ASTM STP 929, edited by Pottinger, M.G. and Yager, T.J., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1985.
- Negrus, E.M. et al. - “Research on the new passenger car tire types”, Scientific Contract no. 27-7-3, University “POLITEHNICA” of Bucharest, 1987.
- Pierre, P., Doré, G., Vagile, L. - “Characterization and Evaluation of Tire-Roadway Interface Stresses”, Report GCT-03-03 Submitted to the Ministère des Transports du Québec, 2003.
- Pohl, A., Steindl, R., Reindl, L. - “The «Intelligent Tire» Utilizing Passive SAW Sensors - Measurement of Tire Friction”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 48, 1999.
- Seitz, N., Hussmann, A.W. - “Forces and Displacement in Contact Area of Free Rolling Tires”, SAE Paper 710626, 1971.