This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Topology Optimization Method for Reduction of Transmission Housing Weight
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The housing accounts for a large portion of the overall weight of automotive transmissions, making it a part with a high need for weight reduction.
In addition, while the application of topology optimization for the purpose of reducing weight and increasing rigidity is nearing a practical level, there are no reports yet of methods for effectively applying topology optimization to complex shapes such as transmission housings.
Therefore, this study developed a topology optimization method as a tool for use in the design of lightweight and high-rigidity automotive transmission housings.
The modeling method uses a double-layered structural mesh so that topology optimization calculations can be performed for transmission housings with a hermetic structure.
This method realized a reduction in weight while still meeting the target rigidity values for transmission housings.
Shapes predicted by optimization were studied from the viewpoint of the stress generation conditions, and it was confirmed that the ribs placed as stiffeners along the bearing load transmission routes were efficiently designed.
It was also confirmed that it is important to apply the appropriate optimization method depending on the maturity of the design in order to increase the weight reduction effects when designing actual transmission housings.
Finally, the weight reduction effects were also found to be greatest when topology optimization calculations were performed from the housing framework concept stage.
CitationOgata, Y., Suzuki, S., and Hiraoka, M., "Development of Topology Optimization Method for Reduction of Transmission Housing Weight," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1699, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1699.
- Hiraoka, M. Tomita, K. Suzuki, S. Iijima, Y. Sasahara, C. Development of Stiffness Analysis Technology for Transmission Housing Honda R&D Technical Review 14 2 115 122
- Fujii, D. Suzuki, K. Ohtsubo, H. Topology optimization of structures using the voxel finite element method Transactions of JSCES, Paper No. 20000010
- Nakanishi, Y. Structual Optimization under Topological Constraint Represented by Homology Groups Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers A 69 687 86 92 2003
- Kim, W, Y. Nakahara, T. Okuma, M. An Evolutionary Optimization Method for Designing the Three-Dimensional Structures Transactions of JSCES, Paper No. 20020019
- Yuge, Y. Ejima, S. Abe, J. Design of Structural for Crashworthiness Using Three Dimensional Topology Optimization Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers A 69 687 93 100 2003
- Nishiwaki, S. Structural Optimization Based on Discrete Elements R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 37 1 17 24 2004
- Hayakawa, K. Status and Future of Computer Simulation DENSO Technical Review 5 1 9 15 2000
- Yoshimura, M. Nishiwaki, S. Izui, K. A Cross-sectional Shape Initial Design Method for Automotive Frame Structure Using Generi Algorithms Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C 70 689 235 242 2004