This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Piston Temperature Measurement by Use of Thermographic Phosphors and Thermocouples in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Run Under Partly Premixed Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Piston temperature experiments were conducted in a single-cylinder heavy-duty Diesel research engine, based on the Volvo Powertrain D12C engine both by use of optical temperature sensitive phosphor and of thermocouples mounted on the piston surface.
In the former case, a thin coating of a suitable thermographic phosphor was applied to the areas on the piston surface to be investigated. The optical measurements of piston temperatures made involved use of an optical window and of an endoscope. The possibility of using optical fibres into guide light in and out of the engine was also investigated. Results of the optical and of the thermocouple measurements were compared and were also related to more global data with the aim of exploring the use of thermographic phosphors for piston- temperature measurements in Diesel engines.
Thermographic phosphors thermometry was found to represent an alternative to the thermocouple method since it easily can be applied to various piston geometries. The method was seen to have a clear potential for production-type engine applications, particularly with use of fibre optics.
CitationHusberg, T., Gjirja, S., Denbratt, I., Omrane, A. et al., "Piston Temperature Measurement by Use of Thermographic Phosphors and Thermocouples in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Run Under Partly Premixed Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1646, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1646.
CI and SI Power Cylinder Systems and Power Boost Technology
Number: SP-1964; Published: 2005-04-11
Number: SP-1964; Published: 2005-04-11
- Christensen, M., HCCI Combustion, Doctoral Thesis, Division of Combustion Engines, Department of Heat and Power Engineering, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, (2002)
- Kimura, S., Aoki, O., Ogawa, H., Muranaka, S. and Enomoto, Y. New combustion concept for ultra-clean and high-efficiency small DI diesel engines, SAE International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exhibition, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 1999-01-3681 (1999)
- Groenendijk, A. and Müller, E. Mixture formation and combustion control for low-emission DI diesel combustion with HCCI characteristics, THIESEL 2002 Conference on Thermo and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Valencia, Spain, SAE Paper 2002-30-0011 (2002)
- IDA-International DME Association, http://www.aboutdme.org, (31 August 2004)
- Akihama, K., Takatori, Y., Inagaki, K., Sasaki, S. and Dean, A. M. Mechanism of the smokeless rich diesel combustion by reducing temperature, SAE 2001 World Congress, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 2001-01-0655 (2001)
- Zeldovich, Y. B., The Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion and Explosions, ACTA Physicochimica U.R.S.S., 21(4): p. 577-628, (1946)
- Dec, J. E. A conceptual model of DI diesel combustion based on laser-sheet imaging, SAE International Congress and Exposition, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 970873 (1997)
- Nagle, J. and Strickland-Constable, R. F. Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000C, 5th Carbon Conference, Pergamon Press, (1961)
- Woschni, G. Universally applicable equation for the instantaneous heat transfer coefficient in the internal combustion engine, National Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplants, Transportation Meetings, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 670931 (1967)
- Stiesch, G., Modeling Engine Spary and Combustion Processes, ed. Mayinger, D. M. a. F. 2003, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer Verlag.
- Assanis, D. N. and Friedmann, F. Telemetry linkage system for piston temperature measurements in a diesel engine, International Congress and Exposition, Publ by SAE, Warrendale, PA, USA, SAE Paper 910299 (1991)
- Woschni, G. and Fieger, J. Determination of Local Heat Transfer Coefficients at the Piston of a High Speed Diesel Engine by Evaluation of Measured Temperature Distribution, SAE Paper 790834 (1979)
- Borman, G. and Nishiwaki, K., A review of Internal Combustion Engine Heat Transfer, Prog. Energy Comb., 13: p. 1-46, (1987)
- Fiveland, S. B. and Assanis, D. N. A four-stroke homogeneous charge compression ignition engine simulation for combustion and performance studies, SAE 2000 World Congress, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 2000-01-0332 (2000)
- Fiveland, S. B. and Assanis, D. N. Development of a two-zone HCCI combustion model accounting for boundary layer effects, SAE 2001 World Congress, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 2001-01-1028 (2001)
- Jackson, N. S., Pilley, A. D. and Owen, N. J. Instantaneous heat transfer in a highly rated DI truck engine, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Transactions, SAE Paper 900692 (1990)
- Burrahm, R. W., Davis, J. K., Perry, W. D. and Santos, A. D. L. Development of a piston temperature telemetry system, International Congress and Exposition, SAE, Warrendale, PA, USA, SAE Paper 920232 (1992)
- Rente, T., Injection Strategies for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, Doctoral Thesis, Division of Thermo and Fluid Dynamics, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, (2004)
- Allison, S. W. and Gillies, G. T., Remote thermometry with thermographic phosphors: Instrumentation and applications, Review of Scientific Instruments, 68(7): p. 2615-2650, (1997)
- Feist, J. P., Heyes, A. L. and Seefeldt, S. Thermographic Phosphors for Gas Turbines: Instrumentation Development and Measurement Uncertainties, Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, (2002)
- Omrane, A., Juhlin, G., Aldén, M., Jossefsson, G., Benham, T. and Engstrom, J. Two-dimensional temperature characterization of valves and piston of a GDI optical engine., SAE 2004 World Congress and Exhibition, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 2004-01-0609 (2004)
- Husberg, T., Gjirja, S., Denbratt, I. and Engström, J. Visualization of EGR influence on diesel combustion with long ignition delay in a heavy-duty engine, SAE Powertrain and Fluid Systems Conference and Exhibition, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA, SAE Paper 2004-01-2947 (2004)
- Omrane, A., Ossler, F. and Alden, M., Two-dimensional surface temperature measurements of burning materials, Twenty-Ninth International Symposium on Combustion Hokkaido University Sapporo Japan, Combustion Institute, (2002)
- Dowell, L. J. and Gillies, G. T., Errors caused by baseline offset and noise in the estimation of exponential lifetimes, Rev. Sci. Instrum., 62(1): p. 242-243, (1991)
- Yamada, Y., Emi, M., Ishii, H., Suzuki, Y., Kimura, S. and Enomoto, Y., Heat loss to the combustion chamber wall with deposit in D.I. diesel engine: Variation of instantaneous heat flux on piston surface with deposit, JSAE Review, 23(4): p. 415-421, (2002)