This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Microstructures and Failure Mechanisms of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 5754 Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Microstructures and failure mechanisms of spot friction welds (SFW) in aluminum 5754 lap-shear specimens were investigated. In order to study the effect of tool geometry on the joint strength of spot friction welds, a concave tool and a flat tool were used. In order to understand the effect of tool penetration depth on the joint strength, spot friction welds were prepared with two different penetration depths for each tool. The results indicated that the concave tool produced slightly higher joint strength than the flat tool. The joint strength did not change for the two depths for the flat tool whereas the joint strength slightly increases as the penetration depth increases for the concave tool. The experimental results show that the failure mechanism is necking and shearing for the spot friction welds made by both tools. The failure was initiated and fractured through the upper sheet under the shoulder indentation near the crack tip.
CitationArul, S., Pan, T., Lin, P., Pan, J. et al., "Microstructures and Failure Mechanisms of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 5754 Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1256, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1256.
- Thornton, P. Krause, A. Davies, R. 1996 “Aluminum Spot Weld” Welding Journal 75 101s 108s
- Lin, P.-C. Lin, S.-H. Pan, J. Pan, T. Nicholson, J. M. Garman, M. A. “Microstructures and Failure Mechanisms of Spot Friction Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens of Aluminum 6111-T4 Sheets” SAE Technical Paper No: 2004-01-1330 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Gean, A. Westgate, S. A. Kucza, J. C. Ehrstorm, J. C. 1999 “Static and Fatigue Behavior of Spot-Welded 5182-0 Aluminum Alloy Sheet” Welding Journal 78 80s 86s
- Sakano, R. Murakami, K. Yamashita, K. Hyoe, T. Fujimoto, M. Inuzuka, M. Nagao, Y. Kashiki, H. 2001 “Development of Spot FSW Robot System for Automobile Body Members” Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium of Friction Stir Welding Kobe, Japan September 27-28, 2001
- Iwashita, T. 2003 “Method and apparatus for joining” August 5 2003
- Lin, P.-C. Lin, S.-H. Pan, J. 2004 “Modeling of Plastic Deformation and Failure near Spot Welds in Lap-Shear Specimens” SAE Technical Paper no. 2004-01-0817 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Lin, S.-H. Pan, J. Tyan, T. Prasad, P. 2003 “A General Failure Criterion for Spot Welds under Combined Loading Conditions” International Journal of Solids and Structures 40 5539 5564
- Chien, W. Y. Pan, J. Tang, S. C. 2004 “A Combined Necking and Shear Localization Analysis for Aluminum Sheets under Biaxial Stretching Conditions” International Journal of Plasticity 20 1953 1981