This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue of Friction-Stir Welded Joints in Aluminum Tailor Welded Blanks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of fatigue tests conducted on tailor-welded aluminum blanks consisting of 1.66 mm thick and 1.06 mm thick AA 5754-O sheets. The method of joining the sheets was friction-stir welding. The primary purpose of this study was to determine the effect of tensile pre-strains on the fatigue performance of the welded joint. The welded specimens as well as unwelded 1.06-mm thick specimens were subjected to tensile pre-strains of 60 and 80% of their respective uniform strains before the fatigue tests. Fatigue S-N data of all these specimens were compared with similar data for unstrained specimens. Microscopic examinations were conducted to understand the failure modes.
- A. Raut - Center for Lightweighting Automotive Materials and Processing University of Michigan-Dearborn
- G. T. Kridli - Center for Lightweighting Automotive Materials and Processing University of Michigan-Dearborn
- P. K. Mallick - Center for Lightweighting Automotive Materials and Processing University of Michigan-Dearborn
CitationRaut, A., Kridli, G., and Mallick, P., "Fatigue of Friction-Stir Welded Joints in Aluminum Tailor Welded Blanks," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1253, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1253.
- Friedman P.A. Kridli G.T. Microstructural and Mechanical Investigation of Aluminum Tailor-Welded Blanks J. Materials Engineering and Processing 9 2000 541 551
- Kridli G.T. Friedman P.A. Sherman A.M. Formability of Aluminum Tailor-Welded Blanks SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0772 2000
- Auger M. Abdullah K. Jeswiet J. Wild P. Clapham L. Determination of Weld Line Characteristics in Tailored Blanks SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2661 2000
- Kinsey B. Cao J. An Analytical Model for Tailor Welded Blank Forming J. Manufacturing Science and Engineering 125 2003 344 351
- Davies R. Grant G. Smith M. Oliver E. Formability and Fatigue of Aluminum Welded Tailor Welded Blanks SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2664 2000
- Abdullah K. Wild P.M. Jeswiet J.J. Ghasempoor A. Tensile Testing for Weld Deformation Properties in Similar Gage Tailor Welded Blanks using the Rule of Mixtures J. Materials Processing Technology 112 2001 91 97
- Lloyd D.J. The Deformation of Commercial Aluminum-Magnesium Alloys Metallurgical Transaction 11A 1980 127 134