This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of Critical Issues in Multiple-Injection Strategy Operated by a New C.R. Fast-Actuation Solenoid Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper investigates the variation of the mass of the fuel injected with respect to nominal conditions in Common Rail injection systems for Diesel automotive applications. Two possible operating conditions have been considered: the consecutive injection of two injectors and the multiple shots of the same injector in the same engine cycle. An integrated experimental and numerical methodology has been used. Several experimental information were available in terms of instantaneous rail and pipe pressure and mass flow rate at different conditions. The 1D numerical model of the whole injection system was useful in addressing the questions remained unresolved in the post-experiments analysis. The experimental results show that injector performances are more related to pressure oscillations in injector connecting pipe rather than inside the common rail. The fuel mass is slightly depending on the mutual influence between two consecutive injectors while it is strongly affected by the dwell time (i.e., DTW) between consecutive shots of the same injector in the same engine cycle. The dwell time variation determines different pressure oscillation amplitudes in the injector connecting pipe at the electrical (nominal) start of the injection of the second pulse. As a consequence, different hydraulic (i.e., actual) start and duration of the injection of the second pulse occurs depending on dwell time. A parametric analysis showed that the injected fuel mass variation with dwell time can be reduced by using shorter and larger injector connecting pipes.
CitationBianchi, G., Falfari, S., Brusiani, F., Pelloni, P. et al., "Numerical Investigation of Critical Issues in Multiple-Injection Strategy Operated by a New C.R. Fast-Actuation Solenoid Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1236, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1236.
- Bianchi, G.M. Pelloni, P. Corcione, F.E. Luppino, F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with 2nd Generation of Common-Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of the Multiple-injections on Emissions” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068 2001 SAE TRANSACTIONS - SAE Journal of Engines 110 1099 1117 September 2002
- Carlucci, P. Ficarella, A. Laforgia, D. “Effects of Pilot Injection Parameters on Combustion for Common Rail Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2003-01-0700 2003
- Carlucci, P. Ficarella, A. Laforgia, D. “Improvements in Diesel Engine Combustion by Using Both Early and Pilot Injections” SAE_NA 2003-01-72 6th International Conference on Engines for Automobile, ICE 2003 Capri, Naples 2003
- Bianchi, G.M. Falfari, S. Brusiani, F. Pelloni, P. Osbat, G. Parotto, M. Lamberti, C. “Advanced Modelling of a New Diesel Fast Solenoid Injector and Comparison with Experiments” SAE Paper 2004-01-0019 2004
- Bianchi, G.M. Falfari, S. Parotto, M. Osbat, G. “Advanced Modeling of Common Rail Injector Dynamics and Comparison with Experiments” SAE Paper 2003-01-0006 2003
- Bianchi, G.M. Falfari, S. Pelloni P. Filicori, F. Milani, M. “A Numerical and Experimental Study on the Possible Improvements of C.R. Injectors” SAE 2002-01-0500 March 2002 SAE 2002 Transactions- SAE Journal of Engines 111 1105 1118 September 2003
- Pontoppidan, M. Ausiello, F. Bella, G. Ubertini, S. 2004 “Study of the Impact on the Spray Shape Stability and the Combustion Process of Supply Pressure Fluctuations in CR-Diesel Injector” SAE Paper 2004-01-0023
- Allocca, L. Alfuso, S. Corcione, F.E. 2003 “Assessment of Dynamic Performances of Diesel Solenoid Injectors for a Multiple Injection Common Rail System” SAE_NA 2003-01-21 6th International Conference on Engines for Automobile Capri
- Desantes, J.M. Arrègle, J. Rodriguez, P.J. “Computational Model for Simulation of Diesel Injection Systems” SAE Paper 1999-01-0915 1999
- Ficarella, A. Laforgia, D. Landriscina, V. “Evaluation of Instability Phenomena in a Common Rail Injection System for High Speed Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 1999-01-0192 1999
- Catania, A.E. Ferrari A. Manno, M. Pellettieri, R. Spessa, E. “Sviluppo, messa a punto e strumentazione di un banco prova ad alte prestazioni per sistemi di iniezione Diesel: primi risultati sperimentali sulla dinamica di sistemi Common Rail” 59° Congresso Annuale ATI Genova 2004
- Zhong, L. Singh, I.P. Han, J. Lai, M-C Henein, N.A. “Effect of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in the Injection Pressure in a Common Rail Diesel Injection System on Engine Performance” SAE Paper 2003-01-0699 2003
- Bianchi, G.M. Pelloni, P. Falfari, S. Brusiani, F. Osbat, G. Parotto, M. Di Gioia, R. “The Role of Simulation in the Development of a Fast-Actuation Solenoid C.R. Injection System” ASME paper ICEF2004-847, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, Fall Technical Conference October 2004
- Coppo, M. Dongiovanni, C. Negri, C. “Numerical Analysis and Experimental Investigation of a Common Rail Type Diesel Injector” Proceeding of ASME 2002 39 273 282 New Orleans