This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduction of the Aerodynamic Drag Due to Cooling Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The contribution of the underhood compartment to the total aerodynamic drag of the motor vehicles is analyzed by means of analytical models deduced from an integral balance of momentum. Two models of increasing complexity, and functions of the compartment geometry and the inlet/outlet static pressure coefficients, are proposed. The results deduced from each model are compared with experiments carried out in the windtunnel on a reduced scale model. This comparison makes it possible to discuss the capacity of each model to represent the physical phenomena, and enables the conception of improvements to the architecture of the underhood compartment.
CitationIvanić, T. and Gilliéron, P., "Reduction of the Aerodynamic Drag Due to Cooling Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1017, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1017.
- Carr G.W. The Influences of Engine-Cooling Airflow one Bus Performance and Stability 1995
- Williams J Karanth D. Oler W Cooling Inlet Aerodynamic Performance and System Resistance Vehicle Aerodynamics 2002 SAE SP-1667 2002
- Williams J Aerodynamic Drag of Engine Cooling Airflow with external Interference Vehicle Aerodynamics 2003 SAE SP-1786
- Ohshima T Hamatani K Ninotu Mr. Nakagawa K Influence of the Cooling Airflow Outlet one the Aerodynamic Characteristics JSAE Review 19 137 142 1998
- Chometon F. Gillieron P. Assessment of Engine Cooling Performance by Measurement of Cooling Airflow Drag in Aerodynamic Wind Tunnels SAE International Society of Automotive Engineers 1998
- Barnard R.H. Ledakis N Physical Modeling and Optimization of Radiator Cooling Flow Systems Proc. 2nd REFLECTED Conference one Vehicle Aerodynamics 1998
- Hucho W.H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fluid Mechanics to Vehicle Engineering 1998
- Andra R. KUMAR K Hytopoulos E Sun R.L. The effect of boundary and geometry simplification one the numerical simulation of International faceend cooling SAE paper 980395 SAE Congress and Exposure Detroit, Michigan February 1998
- Gillieron P. Samuel S. Chometon F Potential of CFD in Analysis Under-Bonnet Airflow Phenomena SAE Congress Detroit, Michigan, the USA March 1-4 1999
- Hucho W.H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fluid Mechanics to Vehicle Engineering Fourth SAE International Society of Automotive Engineers 1998
- Gillieron P. Chometon F. Reduction of Cooling Air Drag of RoadVehicles:.>year Analytical Approach SAE paper 2001-01-1266 SAE Congress Detroit, Michigan, the USA 2001