This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Temperature Combustion within a Small Bore High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion employing single main injection strategies in an optically accessible single cylinder small-bore High-Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) diesel engine equipped with a Bosch common-rail electronic fuel injection system was investigated in this work. In-cylinder pressure was taken to analyze the heat release process for different operating parameters. The whole cycle combustion process was visualized with a high-speed digital camera by imaging natural flame luminosity. The flame images taken from both the bottom of the optical piston and the side window were taken simultaneously using one camera to show three dimensional combustion events within the combustion chamber. The engine was operated under similar Top Dead Center (TDC) conditions to metal engines. Because the optical piston has a realistic geometry, the results presented are close to real metal engine operations. In this paper, six operating conditions were investigated to address the influences of injection pressure, EGR rate and injection timing on the evolution of HCCI combustion. The observation that no liquid fuel injecting into luminous flame is found shows premixed combustion for all of the six cases. Low temperature reaction was observed for certain operating parameters. New parameters were defined to evaluate the combustion process and flame structure. Results show that low temperature combustion is feasible in an HSDI diesel engine with a higher injection pressure, a higher EGR rate, or later injection timing with little penalty on power output. It was also found that injection timing has more influences on HCCI combustion using single main injection than the other two factors.
CitationFang, T., Coverdill, R., Lee, C., and White, R., "Low Temperature Combustion within a Small Bore High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0919, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0919.
- Control of Air Pollution From New Motor Vehicles: Tier 2 Motor Vehicle Emissions Standards and Gasoline Sulfur Control Requirements Final Rule. Federal Register 65 28 6697 6870 2000
- Onishi S. Hong Jo S. Shoda K. Do Jo P. Kato S. Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) ----- A new combustion process for internal combustion engines SAE Paper 790501
- Noguchi M. Tanaka Y. Tanaka T. Takeuchi Y. A study on gasoline engine combustion by observation of intermediate reactive products during combustion SAE Paper 790840
- Najt P.M. Foster D. E. Compression Ignition Homogeneous Charge Combustion SAE Paper 830264
- Thring R.H. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine SAE Paper 832068
- Takeda Y. Keiichi Na. Keiichi Ni. Emission characteristics of premixed lean diesel combustion with extremely early staged fuel injection SAE Paper 961163
- Gray A.W. III Ryan, T.W. III Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) of diesel fuel SAE Paper 971676
- Akagawa H. et al. Approaches to solve problems of the premixed lean diesel combustion SAE Paper 1999-01-0183
- Iwabuchi Y. et al. Trial of new concept diesel combustion system--- Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Paper 1999-01-0185
- Kimura S. Aoki O. Ogawa H. Muranaka S. Enomoto Y. New combustion concept for Ultra-clean and high efficiency small DI diesel engines SAE Paper 1999-01-3681
- Mathews W.S. Coverdill R.E. Lee C.F. C. F. White R.A. Liquid and Vapor Fuel Distributions in a Small-Bore High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2002-01-0266
- Miles Paul C. The Influence of Swirl on Hsdi Diesel Combustion At Moderate Speed and Load SAE Paper 2000-01-1829
- Miles Paul C. Megerle M. Nagel Z. Reitz R. D. Lai M. D. Sick V. An Experimental Assessment of Turbulence Production, Reynolds Stress and Length Scale (Dissipation) Modelling in a Swirl-Supported Di Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2003-01-1072
- Zhao H. Ladommatos N. Optical diagnostics for soot and temperature measurement in diesel engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 24 221 255 1998
- Yanagihara H. Sato Y. Mizuta J. A study of DI diesel combustion under uniform higher-dispersed mixture formation JSAE Review 18 247 254 1997