This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sensitivity Study of Staircase Fatigue Tests Using Monte Carlo Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The staircase fatigue test method is a well-established, but poorly understood probe for determining fatigue strength mean and standard deviation. The sensitivity of results to underlying distributions was studied using Monte Carlo simulation by repeatedly sampling known distributions of hypothetical fatigue strength data with the staircase test method. In this paper, the effects of the underlying distribution on staircase test results are presented with emphasis on original normal, lognormal, Weibull and bimodal data. The results indicate that the mean fatigue strength determined by the staircase testing protocol is largely unaffected by the underlying distribution, but the standard deviation is not. Suggestions for conducting staircase tests are provided.
CitationSong, J., Mourelatos, Z., Gu, R., and Crepeau, P., "Sensitivity Study of Staircase Fatigue Tests Using Monte Carlo Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0803, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0803.
- Hertzberg, R.W. Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1976
- Metals Handbook: Mechanical Testing 8 ASM International 1985 697
- Dieter, G. E. Mechanical Metallurgy McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1976
- Wang, Q.G. Crepeau, P. N. Gloria, D. Valtierra, S. “Improvement of Fatigue Strength in Aluminum Castings,” Proceedings 2nd International Aluminum Casting Technology Symposium 7-9 October 2002 Columbus, OH ASM International 2002
- Metals Handbook: Mechanical Testing 8 ASM International 1985 632
- Metals Handbook: Mechanical Testing 8 ASM International 1985 703
- Dixon, W. J. Mood, A. M. “A Method for Obtaining and Analyzing Sensitivity Data,” J. Amer. Stat. Assoc 43 1948 109 126
- British Standard Institution “British Standard 3518: Methods of Fatigue Testing: Part 5: Guide to the Application of Statistics, Linford Wood, Milton Keynes,” British Standard Institution 1966
- “Standard Method of Statistical Fatigue Testing;” Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers JSME S 002 1981
- Lin, S. K. Lee, Y. L. Lu, M.W. “Evaluation of the Staircase and the Accelerated Test Methods for Fatigue Limit Distributions,” Int. J. of Fatigue 23 2001 75 83
- Lee, Y. L. Pan, J. Hathaway, R. Barkey, M. Fatigue Testing and Analysis: Theory and Practice Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann 2004
- Snyder P. M. Lu, M.W. Lee, Y. L. “Reliability-Based Fatigue Strength Testing by the Staircase Method,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1288
- “GMN7152, Specification and Verification of Tensile and Fatigue Properties in Cast Components,” GM Engineering Standards 2001