This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Mechanical Fatigue Simulation of Cast iron Cylinder Heads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The requirement for increased power and reduced emission and fuel consumption levels for diesel engines has created very stringent demands on the cylinder head design. In current engine development programs it is often observed that the limiting design factor is given by the thermal mechanical fatigue strength of the cylinder head. Design iterations resulting from durability testing are often necessary due to the lack of adequate simulation techniques for prediction thermal mechanical fatigue (TMF) failure.
A complete lifetime simulation process is presented in this paper with emphasis on a newly developed material model for describing the constitutive behavior of cast iron (i.e. gray cast iron and compacted graphite iron) under thermal cycling. The material model formulation is based on a continuum-damage-mechanics (CDM) approach in order to account for the tension / compression anomaly of cast iron. Different fatigue life models are discussed for the lifetime prediction and an example of a TMF life simulation for a medium duty cylinder head is shown and the implications of design modifications on the TMF life are discussed.
CitationZieher*, F., Langmayr, F., Jelatancev, A., and Wieser, K., "Thermal Mechanical Fatigue Simulation of Cast iron Cylinder Heads," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0796, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0796.
- Forster, H. K. Zuber, N. “Dynamics of Vapor Bubbles and Boiling Heat Transfer” A.I.Ch.E. J. 1 531 535 1955
- Chen, J.C. “A Correlation for Boiling Heat Transfer to Saturated Fluids in Convective Flow” 6 th National Heat Transfer Conference Boston 1963
- Steiner, H. Kobor, A. Gebhard L. “A Wall Heat Transfer Model for Subcooled Boiling Flow” ASME-ZSIS International Thermal Science Seminar (ITSS II) 2004
- Lemaitre, J. Chaboche, J.-L. “Mechanics of Solid Materials” Cambridge University Press 1985
- Skelton, R.P. “Energy Criterion for High Temperature Low Cycle Fatigue Failure” Mat. Sci. Tech. 7 427 439 1991
- Su, X. Zubeck, M. Lasecki, J. Engler-Pinto, C.C. Jr. Tang, C. Sehitoglu, H. Allison, J. “Thermal Fatigue Analysis of Cast Aluminum Cylinder Heads” SAE technical paper 2002-01-0657 2002
- Langmayr, F. Zieher, F. Lapic, M. 2004 298 303
- Foerch R. Zieher F. “Damage Mechanics Based Modeling for Cast Iron TMF Applications” USNCCM VI Dearborn, MI 2001
- Zieher, F. Langmayr, F. Foerch, R. Lampic, M. “TMF Life Prediction for Cast Iron Based on Damage Mechanics” WCCM V Vienna 2002
- Zieher, F. Langmayr, F. “Engine Simulation in View of Reduced Development Time” FISITA 2002, World Automotive Congress Helsinki 2002
- Cailletaud, G. Depoid, C. Massinon, D. Nicouleau-Bourles, E. “Elastoviscoplasticity with Aging in Aluminium Alloys” Maugin, G.A. Drouot, R. Sidoroff, F. Continuum Thermodynamics: The Art and Science of Modelling Material Behaviour (Paul Germain's Anniversary Volume), Solid Mechanics and its Applications 75 86 Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
- Smith, T. J. Hans, J. M. Sehitoglu Fleury, E. Allison, J. “Modeling High-Temperature Stress-Strain Behavior of Cast Aluminum Alloys” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions 1999 30A 133 145
- Chaboche, J.-L. Callerneau, F. “An overview of damage approach of durability modelling at high temperature” J. Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct. 2001 24 405 418
- Röhrig, K. “Thermal fatigue of grey and ductile irons” Trans. Am. Foundrymen's Soc. 86 1978 75 88
- Gundlach, R.B. “Thermal fatigue resistance of alloyed grey irons for diesel engine components” Trans. Am. Foundrymen's Soc. 87 1979 551 560
- Bertodo, R. “Grey cast irons for thermal stress applications” Int. Journal for Strain Analysis 5 1970 2 98 109
- Josefson, B.L. Stiegh, U. Hjelm, H.E. “A Nonlinear Kinematic Hardening Model for Elastoplastic Deformations in Grey Cast Iron” J. Eng. Mater. Tech. 117 145 150 1995
- Günther, H. Brandt, U. Sonsino, C.M. 1995
- Socie, D.F. Fash, J. W. Leckie, F.A. “A continuu damage model for fatigue analysis of cast iron” Proceedings of ASME conference on life prediction Albany, New York Springer Verlag Berlin 96 119 1983
- Downing, S. D. Socie, D. F. “Stress/Strain Simulation Model for Grey Cast Iron” Int. J. of Fatigue 4 3 1982 143 148
- Denkmayr, K. Sauerwein, U. Hick, H. “Die Loadmatrix - der Schlüssel zum intelligenten Dauerlauf” MTZ 64 11 2003
- Langmayr, F. Zieher F. September 2004
- Zieher F. Langmayr, F. Hager G. Jelatancev A. Ennemoser A. “Advanced thermal-mechanical fatigue life simulation of cylinder heads” ABAQUS Users Conference Boston May 2004