This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of a Pneumatic Valve Actuation System for Internal Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
1-D analysis methods are used to simulate the performance of a pneumatic valve actuation system for an internal combustion engine. Pneumatics provides an attractive alternative to the more-common hydraulic valve actuation, in part because of the insensitivity of the working fluid viscosity to changes in temperature. Technical issues and concerns introduced by the use of pneumatics are addressed and plausible workarounds presented. In the present work, an actuator is sized for the specific engine application at hand. Once the actuation is sized, an actuation concept is selected and simulations performed. Technical issues of interest are actuation rates, seating velocity control, thermal management, valve-valve interactions, and power consumption. The pneumatic actuation system selected is gauged against each of these metrics using results of the simulations and commentary provided. The use of energy recovery methods and novel actuation-assist features such as pressure balancing are also examined and commentary provided as to their effectiveness and feasibility of implementation.
CitationWatson, J. and Wakeman, R., "Simulation of a Pneumatic Valve Actuation System for Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0771, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0771.
- SAE 960581 Camless Engine Schechter Michael M. Levin Michael B. Ford Research Laboratory 1996
- SAE VVA Toptec 2000 Some Effects of VVA on Engine Processes Asmus Tom 2000
- SAE VVA Toptec 2000 Camless EHV Technology - Benefits and Challenges Levin Michael 2000
- SAE 2002-01-1109 Production Electrohydraulic Variable Valve-Train for a New Generation of I.C. Engines Law Donald Allen Jeffrey Lotus Engineering 2002
- Pneumatic actuator with solenoid operated control valves Richeson Erickson 1989
- Outward opening valve system for an engine Chan et al 1997