This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Global Analysis of the EGR Circuit in a HSDI Diesel Engine in Transient Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on the global analysis of the EGR circuit in a HSDI diesel engine and its influence on engine transient operation. To achieve this, the employed methodology was a combination of experimental tests and theoretical calculations.
The experimental work was performed in a fully instrumented engine test bench equipped with an electronically controlled brake able to simulate the European driving cycle (ECE test cycle). Beside this, the theoretical calculations consisted of simulating the accelerations performed in the ECE test cycle by means of a 1-D gas dynamic code that has been adjusted according to the experimental results. This code takes into account the transport of different species through the engine ducts and has been updated related to the transient feature in order to accept different drag force configurations, road gradients and vehicle specifications.
In addition, by using the 1-D model, a parametric study was performed in order to study the effects of thermal efficiency of the EGR cooler, the pressure losses at the EGR line and the combination of both, i.e. what happens when the EGR cooler gets dirty. Finally, the benefits of an electrically controlled EGR valve were analyzed showing that a correct design of control parameters can considerably improve the EGR rates achieved during ECE cycle accelerations.
CitationSerrano, J., Climent, H., Arnau, F., and Traumat, G., "Global Analysis of the EGR Circuit in a HSDI Diesel Engine in Transient Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0699, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0699.
- Ladommatos, N. Abdelhalim, S. Zhao, H. “The effects of exhaust gas recirculation on diesel combustion and emissions” 1 1 107 126 International Journal Engine Research 2000
- Dürnholz, M. Eiffler, G. Hendres, H. “Exhaust gas recirculation. A measure to reduce exhaust emissions of DI diesel engines” SAE Paper 920725 1992
- Arcoumanis, C. Bae, C. Nagwaney, A. Whitelaw, J.H. “Effect of EGR on combustion development in a 1.9 L. DI diesel optical engine” SAE Paper 950850
- Hountalas D.T. Benajes J. Pariotis E.G. Gonzalez C.A. “Combination of High Injection Pressure and EGR to Control Nitric Oxide and Soot in DI Diesel Engines” Proceedings of the Thiesel 2004 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 84-9705-621-3 2004
- Piertmont D.A. Montgomery D.T. Reitz R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NOx Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Ladommatos N. Balian R. Horrocks R. Cooper L. “The Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Soot Formation in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE paper 961165 1996
- Ladommatos N. Balian R. Horrocks R. Cooper L. “The Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Combustion and NOx Emissions in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE paper 960841 1996
- Benajes J. Luján J. Bermúdez V. Serrano J.R. “Modelling of turbocharged Diesel engines in transient operation. Part 1: Insight into the relevant physical phenomena” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D-J. Automob. Eng. 216 431 441 2002
- Baert R. Beckman D. Veen A. “New EGR Technology Retains HD Diesel Economy with 21 st Century Emissions” SAE paper 960190 1998
- Hawley J.G. Wallace F.J. Cox A. Horrocks R.W. Bird G.L. “Reduction of Steady State NOx Levels From an Automotive Diesel Engine Using Optimised VGT-EGR Schedules” SAE paper 1999-01-0835 1999
- Balloul I. Lejeune M. “Computer-Aided Optimisation of Engine Control Unit Transient Maps” Proceedings of the Thiesel 2004 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 84-9705-621-3 2004
- Payri F. Galindo J. Serrano J.R. Arnau F.J. “Analysis of numerical methods to solve 1-D fluid dynamic governing equations under impulsive flow in tapered ducts” International Journal of Mechanical Science 46 7 981 1004 2004
- Galindo J. Bermúdez V. Serrano J.R. López J.J. “Cycle-to-cycle Diesel combustion characterization during engine transient operation” SAE Transactions-Journal of Engines 110-3 2056 2070 2002
- Galindo J. Luján J.M. Serrano, J.R. Hernández, L. “Combustion simulation of turbocharger HSDI diesel engines during transient operation using neural networks” Applied Thermal Engineering 25 5-6 877 898 2004
- Lujan J.M. Serrano J.R. Arnau F. Dolz V. “Heat Transfer Model to Calculate Turbocharged HDSI Diesel Engine Performance” SAE Paper 2003-01-1066 2003
- Galindo J. Luján, J.M. Serrano, J.R. Dolz, V. Guilain, S. “Design of an exhaust manifold to improve transient performance of a high-speed turbocharged diesel engine” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 28 8 863 875 2004
- Payri F. Benajes J. Galindo J. Serrano J.R. “Modelling of turbocharged Diesel engines in transient operation. Part 2: wave action models for calculating the transient operation in a high speed direct injection engine” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D-J. Automob. Eng. 216 479 493 2002
- Lázaro J.L. García-Bernad J.L. Pérez C. Galindo J. Climent H. Arnau F.J. “Cooled EGR Modulation: A Strategy to Meet EURO IV Emission Standards in Automotive DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2002-01-1154 2002