This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Heat Transfer Model for CI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A realistic simulation of the wall heat transfer is an imperative condition for the accurate analysis and simulation of the working process of IC engines. Due to its simplicity in application, zero-dimensional wall heat transfer models dominate engine cycle simulation in practice. However, experience shows that existing zero-dimensional models for wall heat transfer do not yield satisfactory results in certain applications. This is mainly due to a lack of consideration of the actual flow field in the cylinder.
In this paper a quasi-dimensional heat transfer model, which is based on a detailed description of the turbulent flow field in the combustion chamber, is described. The model presents a consistent approach for the high pressure as well as the low pressure part of the cycle. The results of the heat transfer model are compared with results from the correlation by Woschni/Huber and with experimental results from various DI Diesel engines.
CitationSchubert, C., Wimmer, A., and Chmela, F., "Advanced Heat Transfer Model for CI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0695, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0695.
- Bargende, M. Hohenberg, G. Woschni, G. 1991
- Hohenberg, G.F. Advanced Approaches for Heat Transfer Calculations SAE 790825 1979
- Hottel, H.C. Sarofim, A.F. Radiative Transfer Mc-Graw-Hill Book Company Inc. New York 1967
- Huber, K. Technische Universität München 1990
- Morel, T. Keribar, R. Model for Predicting Spatially and Time Resolved Convective Heat Transfer in Bowl-in-Piston Combustion Chambers SAE 850204 1985
- Morel, T. Keribar, R. Heat Radiation in D.I. Diesel Engines SAE 860445 1986
- Murakami, A. Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. Swirl Measurements and Modeling in Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE 880385 1988
- Nußelt, W. Springer-Verlag Berlin 1923
- N.N. Product Information Fine Wire Thermocouples, Medtherm Corporation Huntsville, Alabama 35804, USA 1998
- Schubiger, R.A. Boulouchos K. Eberle, M.K. 2002
- Wimmer A. Pivec R. Klell M. 2001
- Wimmer, A. Pivec, R. Heat Transfer to the Combustion Chamber and Port Walls of IC Engines - Measurement and Prediction SAE 2000-01-0568 2000
- Woschni, G. Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine SAE 670931 1967
- Woschni, G. Fieger, J. Experimental Investigation of the Heat Transfer at Normal and Knocking Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines 1982