This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SemtechD: The Chassis Roll Evaluation of a Commercial Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A commercial PEMS, the SemtechD, was evaluated for its suitability to measure transient emissions from light-duty, oxidation catalyst equipped, diesel passenger cars. The PEMS was evaluated for its analytical capabilities in a state-of-the-art chassis dynamometer test facility. The system, manufactured by Sensors, Inc of Saline, MI, proved to be both accurate and precise. The SemtechD proved capable of measuring THC concentrations (FID-based measurement) as low as 2 ppmC with measurements on average within 4.5% of those reported by modal test cell instrumentation. Similarly, both CO and NOx measurements fell within 9% and 3% of the values reported (respectively) by modal test cell analyzers. Finally, modal CO2 agreed within 2.6% of the two measurement systems across eleven vehicle tests and with more than 6000 data points compared.
CitationDearth*, M., Butler, J., Colvin, A., Gierczak, C. et al., "SemtechD: The Chassis Roll Evaluation of a Commercial Portable Emission Measurement System (PEMS) ," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0673, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0673.
- Notice of a Settlement Agreement with the Engine Manufacturers Association to Propose a Manufacturer-Run, In-Use Emissions Testing Program for Heavy-duty Diesel Trucks and to Provide Engine Certification Guidance USEPA Office of Transportation and Air Quality June 2003
- Marine Diesel Exhaust Emissions Measured by Portable Instruments Bentz Alan P. Weaver Elizabeth SAE 941784 1994
- Real-time On-road Vehicle Exhaust Gas Modular Flowmeter and Emissions Reporting System Breton Leo Alphonse Gerard Nov. 21 2000
- Development of an On-Board Analyzer for Use on Advanced Low Emission Vehicles Jetter Jeff Maeshiro Shinji Hatcho Seiji Klebba Robert SAE 2000-01-1140 2000
- Real-time OnN-Board Measurement of Mass Emission of NO x , Fuel Consumption, Road Load, and Engine Output for Diesel Vehicles Kihara Nobutaka Tsukamoto Tokihiro Matsumoto Koichi Ishida Kozo Kon Masao Murase Takao SAE 2000-01-1141 2000
- Development of Heavy-Duty Diesel Portable, On- Board Mass Exhaust Emissions Monitoring System With NO x , CO 2 , and Qualitative PM Capabilities Vojtisek-Lom Michal Allsop Joseph E. SAE 2001-01-3641 2001
- Measurement of In-Use, On-Board Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles: Mobile Emissions Measurement System Gautam Mridul Thompson Gregory J. Carder Daniel K. Clark Nigel N. Shade Benjamin C. Riddle Wesley C. Lyons Donald W. SAE 2001-01-3643 2001
- Development of the “RAVEM” Ride-Along Vehicle Emission Measurement System for Gaseous and Particulate Emissions Weaver Christopher S. Balam-Almanza Marco V. SAE 2001-01-3644 2001
- Real-World Emissions from 40 Heavy-Duty Diesel Trucks Recruited at Tulare, CA Rest Area Vojtisek-Lom Michal Lambert Douglas C. Wilson P. Joshua SAE 2002-01-2901 2002
- Reproducibility and Accuracy of On-Board Emission Measurements Using the RAVEM™ System Weaver Christopher S. Petty Lawrence E. SAE 2004-01-0965 2004
- PREVIEW: Portable Real-Time Emissions Vehicle Integrated Engineering Workstation Gierczak C. A. Butler J. W. Korniski T. J. Colvin A. D. Dearth M. A. Kaberline S. L. Ford Technical Report SRR-2004-0165
- Dynamometer Quality Data On-Board Vehicles for Real-World Emissions Measurements Butler, J.W. Korniski, T.J. Reading, A.R. Kotenko, T.L. Proceeedings of the 9 th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emissions Workshop San Diego, CA April 19-21 1999
- Portable Real-Time Emissions Vehicle Integrated Engineering Workstation Farrugia, J. Ford Motor Company Internal Report, Surveillance and Compliance Department, Vehicle Environmental Engineering Nov. 2001
- A Comparison of Results From a Portable Emissions Measurement System and a Microscopic Traffic Emissions Model Nam, E. Gierczak, C.A. Butler, J.W. Proceedings of the 12 th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emissions Workshop San Diego, CA April 2002
- A Comparison of Real-World and Modeled Emissions Under Conditions of Variable Driver Agressiveness Nam, E.K. Gierczak, C.A. Butler, J.W. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 2003 Meeting Jan. 2003