This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Model for the Simulation of a Reed Valve Based Secondary Air Injection System for SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a research activity, carried out at the University of Perugia, focused on the modelling of an automatic reed valve in a coupled fluid-structure approach. The application here concerned is a reed device used to control a Secondary Air Injection (SAI) system which allows ambient air to enter the exhaust pipe upstream of the catalyst (useful for the reduction of emissions in rich mixture engine operating conditions).
Since currently no commercial codes are still available for simulating in a comprehensive way the non-linear dynamics of a reed valve device with position constraints, the main objective of the work is the calculation of the air mass flow rate admitted to the exhaust system through the reed, by means of a slim and easy software tool. The task is accomplished by integrating two different codes, developed by the authors. For the gasdynamics phenomena a one-dimensional unsteady approach is used, while the dynamic behaviour of the reed valve is modelled by means of the finite element method. Moreover the present paper describes the methodology used for coupling the fluid and structure codes. To this end, experimental measurements were performed for the evaluation of the discharge coefficient, while various 3D-CFD steady state simulations were also carried out to analyse the pressure field on the actual reed geometry.
The results of the 1D simulations are then compared with experimental measurements of mass flow rate and pressure histories, carried out on a Piaggio 150 cc engine, focusing the attention on the air injection subsystem. The comparison between the numerical and the experimental results shows a satisfactory agreement. As future work, the model seems suitable to be integrated in a comprehensive 1D code for engine cycle simulation.
CitationBattistoni, M., Grimaldi, C., Baudille, R., Fiaccavento, M. et al., "Development of a Model for the Simulation of a Reed Valve Based Secondary Air Injection System for SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0224, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0224.
- Mitianiec W. Bogusz A. “Theoretical and Experimental Study of Gas Flow Through Reed Valve in a Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper 961802 1996
- Baudille R. Biancolini R. E. “Analisi del Comportamento Dinamico di una Lamella per Motori ad Accensione Comandata Due Tempi” Proceedings of the XXXI AIAS National Congress (Associazione Italiana per l'Analisi delle Sollecitazioni) Parma, Italy 2002
- Dave A. Siddiqui A. Probst D. Hampson G. J. “Development of a Reed Valve Model for Engine Simulations for Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 2004-01-1455 2004
- Fleck R. McGregor A. Harrington P. A. “Evaluation of Reed Valves in High Performance Two-Strokes Engines” SAE Paper 942528 1994
- Fleck R. Blair G. P. Houston R. A. R “An Improved Model for Predicting Reed Valve Behaviour in Two-Stroke Cycle Engines” SAE Paper 871654 1987
- Battistoni M Grimaldi C. N. Baudille R. “Simulazione di Motori a Combustione Interna con Immissione di Aria Secondaria allo Scarico Tramite Valvola a Lamella” Proceedings of the Fifty-Ninth ATI National Congress Genova, Italy 2004
- Wu H. C. Yang S. M. Wang A. Hao H. C. “Emission Control Technologies for 50 and 125 cc Motorcycles in Taiwan” SAE Paper 980938 1998
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. D'Errico G. “Secondary Air Injection in the Exhaust After-Treatment System of S.I. Engines: 1D Fluid Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Investigation” SAE paper 2003-01-0366 2003
- Sim H. S. Chung S. H. “Comparison of Hydrocarbon Reduction in a SI Engine Between Continuous and Synchronized Secondary Air Injections” International Journal of Automotive Technology 3 1 41 46 2002
- Postrioti L. Battistoni M. “Analisi Sperimentale del Funzionamento di Sistemi Catalitici con Apporto di Aria Secondaria” Proceedings of the Eighth MIS-MAC Congress Prato, Italy 2004
- Kochs M. W. Kloda M. Van de Venne G. “Innovative Secondary Air Injection Systems” SAE Paper 2001-01-0658 2001
- Benson R. S. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines” Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Winterbone D. E. Pearson R. J. “Theory of Engine Manifold Design - Wave Action Methods for IC Engines” Professional Engineering Publishing Limited London 2000
- MSC Software Corporation “MSC Nastran User Manual V68” 1995
- Meirovitch L. “Elements of Vibration Analysis” McGraw-Hill 1986
- Heywood J.D. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Chang S. C. To W. “A New Numerical Framework for Solving Conservation Laws - The Method of Space-Time Conservation Element and Solution Element” NASA TM 104495 1991
- Chang S. C. “The Method of Space-Time Conservation Element and Solution Element - A New Approach for Solving the Navier-Stokes and Euler Equations” Journal of Computational Physics 119 295 324 1995
- Yu S. T. Chang S. C. “Treatment of Stiff Source Terms in Conservation Laws by the Method of Space-Time Conservation Element/Solution Element” 1997
- Zhang Z. C. Yu S. T. “Shock Capturing without Reimann Solver - A Modified Space-Time CE/SE Method for Conservation Laws” 1999
- Briz G. Giannattasio P. “Applicazione dello Schema Numerico Conservation Element-Solution Element al Calcolo del Flusso Non Stazionario nei Condotti dei Motori a C.I. Proceedings of the Forty-Eighth ATI National Congress Taormina, Italy 1993
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. “Modeling of 1-D Unsteady Flows in I.C. Engine Pipe Systems: Numerical Methods and Transport of Chemical Species” SAE Paper 980782 1998
- Qin J. R. Yu S. T. J. Lai Ming Chai “Direct Calculations of Cavitating Flows in Fuel Delivery Pipe by the Space-Time CE/SE Method” SAE Paper 1996-01-3554 1999
- Visual Numerics “IMSL ® Math Libraries - Fortran Subroutines for Mathematical Applications” 1 2 Visual Numerics, Inc. 1997