This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Calculation Accuracy of Pulsating Flow through the Turbine of SI-Engine Turbochargers - Part 1 Calculations for Choice of Turbines with Different Flow Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper treats pulsating flow through the turbine of SI-engine turbochargers. In engine design, 1D engine-simulations are very convenient tools for optimization and concept studies. However, they have drawbacks in certain areas. The accuracy, when predicting turbocharger turbine power, is lower than desired. The reason for that is a lack of knowledge about the phenomenon of pulsating flow through the turbine. The background to the problem is described in the paper.
This investigation aims at learning more about this unsteady, pulsating flow, on the engine. The method used is to do large parameter changes to several parameters in turbine and manifold designs such as A/R and trim in the turbine and also volume and length of the exhaust manifold. For selection of A/R and trim, as well as an aid in the analysis of measured data, the meanline turbine design software Rital from Concepts NREC  was used. Three different turbines were investigated, all with the same mass flow capacity. The three different manifolds were designed to alter the pulsation shape at the turbine inlet.
The calculation results show, that through these large parameter changes, it is possible to significantly alter the conditions at both the turbine inlet (shape of pressure and massflow curves) and at the turbine wheel inlet (flow angle and velocity). This has a significant impact on the performance of the turbine and engine.
CitationWestin, F. and Ångström, H., "Calculation Accuracy of Pulsating Flow through the Turbine of SI-Engine Turbochargers - Part 1 Calculations for Choice of Turbines with Different Flow Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0222, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0222.
- Hong C W Watson N “Turbocharged S.I. Engine Simulation under Steady and Transient Conditions” SAE Paper 880122
- Watson N Janota M S “Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine” MacMillan Press 1982 0 333 24290 4
- Westin Ångström “Simulation of a turbocharged SI-engine with two software and comparison with measured data” SAE-Paper 2003-01-3124
- Ehrlich, Daniel “Characterization of unsteady on-engine turbocharger turbine performance” Purdue Univ. USA 1998
- Luján J.M. Galindo J. Serrano J.R. “Efficiency Characterization of Centripetal Turbines under Pulsating Flow Conditions” SAE Paper 2001-01-0272
- Winterbone D.E. Pearson R.J. “Turbocharger turbine performance under unsteady flow - a review of experimental results and proposed models” IMechE paper C554/031 1998
- Benson Rowland S. “Nonsteady flow in a Turbocharger Nozzleless Radial Gas Turbine” SAE Paper 740739
- Dale A Watson N “Vaneless radial turbocharger turbine performance” IMechE Paper C110/86
- Baines N.C. Chen H. “Performance parameters and assessment” Radial turbine, VKI LS 1992-05 1992
- Dale A Watson N Cole A.C. “The development of a turbocharger turbine test facility” Inst. Engrs. Seminar 75 84 1988
- Capobianco M Gambarotta A Cipolla G “Influence of the pulsating flow operation on the turbine characteristics of a small internal combustion engine turbocharger” IMechE paper C372/019 1989
- Baines N.C. Hajilouy-Benisi A. Yeo J.H. “The pulse flow performance and modeling of radial inflow turbines” IMechE paper C484/006/94 1994
- Winterbone D.E. Nikpur B. Frost H. “A contribution to the understanding of turbocharger turbine performance in pulsating flow” IMechE paper C433/011 1991
- Baines Japikse “Introduction to turbomachinery” Concepts ETI Inc. 0-933283-10-5
- Westin Ångström “A method of investigating the on-engine turbine efficiency combining experiments and modelling” ImechE Paper C602/029/2002
- Westin, Rosenqvist Ångström “Heat Losses from the Turbine of a Turbocharged SI-Engine - Measurements and Simulation” SAE Paper 2004-01-0996
- Yeo Baines “Pulsating flow behaviour in a twin-entry vaneless radial-inflow turbine” ImechE Paper C405/004, Turbocharging and turbochargers 1990