This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Fault Diagnosis of Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine Using Nonlinear Estimations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the detection and isolation of actuator faults (both measured and commanded) occurring in the engine breathing and the fueling systems of a spark-ignition direct-injection (SIDI) engine are described. The breathing system in an SIDI engine usually consists of a fresh air induction path via an electronically controlled throttle (ECT) and an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) path via an EGR valve. They are dynamically coupled through the intake manifold to form a gas mixture, which eventually enters the engine cylinders for a subsequent combustion process. Meanwhile, the fueling system is equipped with a high-pressure common-rail injection for a precise control of the fuel quantity directly injected into the engine cylinders. Since the coupled system is highly nonlinear in nature, the fault diagnosis will be performed by generating residuals based on multiple nonlinear observers. Performing the fault detection and isolation properly on these key actuators in an SIDI engine could in principle ensure a precise control of air/fuel ratio and EGR dilution for improving fuel economy and reducing engine-out exhaust emissions.
CitationLee, B., Guezennec, Y., and Rizzoni, G., "Model-Based Fault Diagnosis of Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine Using Nonlinear Estimations," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0071, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0071.
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. 1997 “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970541
- Harada, J. Tomita, T. Mizuno, H. Mashiki, Z. Ito, Y. 1997 “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970540
- Jackson, N. S. Stokes, J. Whitaker, P. A. Lake, T. H. 1997 “Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 970543
- Zhao, F. Lai, M.-C. Harrington, D. L. 1999 “Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 437 562
- Han, S. Cheng, W. K. 1998 “Design and Demonstration of a Spark Ignition Engine Operating in a Stratified-EGR Mode,” SAE Technical Paper 980122
- Wirth, M. Piock, W. F. Fraidl, G. K. Schoeggl, P. Winklhofer, E. 1998 “Gasoline DI Engines: The Complete System Approach by Interaction of Advanced Development Tools,” SAE Technical Paper 980492
- Kolmanovsky, I. Nieuwstadt, M. Sun, J. Gilbert, E. 1999 “Optimal Control of a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” Proceedings of ASME Dynamic Systems and Control 67 275 282
- Menne, R. Foulkes, D. Schamel, A. Pingen, B. Limbach, S. 2002 “Stratified DI or Homogeneous Downsized DI - An Analysis of Competing Gasoline Fuel Economy Concepts,” ATA International Conference Paper 02A5004
- Fraidl, G. Piock, W. Fuerhapter, A. Sikinger, H. Pinter, A. 2002 “The Potential of Next Generation Gasoline Direct Injection Technologies,” ATA International Conference Paper 02A5008
- Upadhyay, D. 2001 “Modeling and Model based Control Design of the VGT-EGR system for Intake Flow Regulation in Diesel Engines,” Ph.D. Dissertation The Ohio State University Columbus, OH
- Heywood, J. B. 1988 Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines McGraw-Hill New York
- Lee, B. Guezennec, Y. G. Rizzoni, G. Trombley, D. 2003 “Development and Validation of Control-Oriented Model of A Spark-Ignition Direct- Injection Engine,” Proceedings of 2003 ASME IMECE DSCD
- Krishnaswami, V. Luh, G. C. Rizzoni, G. “Nonlinear Parity Equation Based Residual Generation for Diagnosis of Automotive Engine Faults” Control Engineering Practice 3 10 1385 1392 1995
- Kim, Y-W. Rizzoni, G. Utkin, V. “Automotive Engine Diagnosis and Control via Nonlinear Estimation” IEEE Control Systems Magazine 18 5 84 99 1998
- Krishnaswami, Siviero, C. Carbognani, F. Rizzoni, G. Utkin, V. “Application Of Sliding Mode Observers To Automotive Powertrain Diagnostics” Proceedings of the 1996 IEEE Conference on Control Applications 355 360 1996