This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Evaluation of Torque Sensor Based Feedback Control of Combustion Phasing in an SI-engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Feedback control of combustion phasing based on a crankshaft integrated torque sensor was developed for a spark ignited five cylinder engine. A cylinder individual measure for combustion phasing, called 50% torque ratio, is extracted from the torque signal and used by a spark advance controller. The estimated torque ratio is based on a simplified estimation algorithm where torsional resonances in the crankshaft are neglected, thus limiting the operating range up to a maximum of about 2000 rpm. The torque ratio measure has been compared with the existing measure 50% burned mass fraction, and proven to be a reliable measure for combustion phasing. The spark advance controller has been evaluated by using internal EGR changes as combustion disturbances and an examination of its cylinder balancing properties was performed.
|Technical Paper||Engine Control Using Torque Estimation|
|Technical Paper||Real-Time Evaluation of IMEP and ROHR-related Parameters|
|Technical Paper||Individual Cylinder IMEP Estimation using a Single Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Light-duty Diesel Engines|
CitationLarsson, S. and Andersson, I., "An Experimental Evaluation of Torque Sensor Based Feedback Control of Combustion Phasing in an SI-engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0060, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0060.
- Heywood John B.. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Klimstra Jacob. The optimum combustion phasing angle - a convenient engine tuning criterion. SAE Technical Paper Series 852090, 1985.
- Powell David J.. Engine control using cylinder pressure: Past, present, and future. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 115:343-350, 1993.
- Eriksson Lars. Spark Advance Modeling and Control. PhD thesis, Linköping University, Division of Vehicular Systems, Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University, SE-581 83, Sweden, 1999.
- Hellring Magnus, Munther Thomas, Rögnvaldsson Thorsteinn, Wickström Nicholas, Carlsson Christian, Larsson Magnus, and Nytomt Jan. Spark advance control using the ion current and neural soft sensors. SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-1162, 1999.
- Guezennec Yann and Gyan Philippe. A novel approach to real-time estimation of the individual cylinder combustion pressure for S.I. engine control. SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-0209, 1999.
- Citron Stephen J., O'Higgins John E., and Chen Lillian Y.. Cylinder by cylinder engine pressure and pressure torque waveform determination utilizing speed fluctuations. SAE Technical Paper Series 890486, 1989.
- Ball Jeffrey K., Bowe Martin J., Stone Richard C., and McFadden Peter D.. Torque estimation and misfire detection using block angular acceleration. SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0560, 2000.
- Wagner Michael, Böhme Johann F., and Förster Jürgen. In-cylinder pressure estimation from structure-borne sound. SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0930, 2000.
- Villarino Ruben and Böhme Johann F.. Misfire detection in automotive engines using structure-borne sound. SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-0520, 2004.
- Urlaub Mark and Böhme Johann F.. Reconstruction of pressure signals on structure-borne sound for knock investigation. SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-0521, 2004.
- Sobel Jarl R., Jeremiasson Jan, and Wallin Christer. Instantaneous crankshaft torque measurement in cars. SAE Technical Paper Series 960040, 1996.
- Jeremiasson Jan and Wallin Christer. Balancing of individual cylinders in a v8 diesel engine based on crankshaft torque measurement. SAE Technical Paper Series 981063, 1998.
- Schagerberg Stefan and McKelvey Tomas. Instantaneous crankshaft torque measurements - modeling and validation. SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-0713, 2003.
- Larsson Stefan and Schagerberg Stefan. SI-engine cylinder pressure estimation using torque sensors. SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-1369, 2004.
- Wallin C., Gustavsson L., and Donovan M.. Engine monitoring of a formula 1 racing car based on direct torque measurement. SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0196, 2002.
- Eriksson Lars. Spark advance for optimal efficiency. SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-0548, 1999.
- Matekunas Frederic A.. Engine combustion control with ignition timing by pressure ratio management. US Pat., A, 4622939, Nov. 18 1986.
- Andersson Ingemar and McKelvey Tomas. Torque ratio concept for combustion phasing detection of a spark ignited engine. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlantis, Bahamas, December 2004. Paper WeA09.5.
- Schagerberg S.. Torque sensors for engine applications. Technical report, 2003. No. 472L, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, ISSN 1651-4998.
- Rassweiler Gerald M. and Withrow Lloyd. Motion pictures of engine flames correlated with pressure cards. SAE Transactions, vol 42, 1938.
- Brunt M. F. J. and Emtage A. L.. Evaluation of burn rate routines and analysis errors. SAE Technical Paper 970037, 1997.
- Andersson Ingemar and McKelvey Tomas. A system inversion approach on a crankshaft of an internal combustion engine. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlantis, Bahamas, 2004. Paper FrC12.1.