This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Running Real-Time Engine Model Simulation with Hardware-in-the-Loop for Diesel Engine Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper reports the design of a model and HIL system produced to support the development and testing of Electronic Control Unit/Engine Management System (ECU/EMS) software for a V6 turbo-charged automotive diesel engine. The engine model, developed in Simulink, is compiled to execute on a dSpace platform and interacts with the ECU/EMS module in real time. The main features of the engine model are outlined. The configuration of the model and HIL components are described, and the performance of the system is illustrated and discussed. Practical decisions on the inclusion of real or virtual sensors and actuators, and other implementation issues, are explained. Recent and potential future applications of the system are described.
CitationShayler, P., Allen, A., and Roberts, A., "Running Real-Time Engine Model Simulation with Hardware-in-the-Loop for Diesel Engine Development," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0056, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0056.
- Ramaswamy D et al ‘A Case Study in Hardware-In-the-Loop Testing: Development of an ECU for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle’ SAE Paper 2004-01-0303 , SAE Congress Detroit 8th-11th March 2004
- Nabi S Balike M Allen J Rzemien K ‘An Overview of Hardware-In-the-Loop Testing Systems at Visteon’ SAE Paper 2004-01-1240 , SAE Congress Detroit 8th-11th March 2004
- Ploger M Saucer J Budenbender M Held J Costanzo F De Manes, M Di Mare G Ferrara F Montieri A ‘Testing Networked ECUs in a Virtual Car Environment’ SAE Paper 2004-01-1724 , SAE Congress Detroit 8th-11th March 2004
- Shayler P J Dow P I Davies M T ‘A model and methodology used to assess the robustness of vehicle emissions and fuel economy characteristics’ IMechE Paper C606/013/2002 2002
- Moskwa J J Weeks R W ‘Automotive engine modelling for real-time control using Matlab Simulink’ SAE Paper No 950417 1995
- Ciesla C Keriban R Morel T ‘Engine/powertrain/vehicle modelling tool applicable to all stages of the design process’ SAE Paper No 2000-01-0934 2000
- Tauzia X Chesse P Hetet J-F Bonin A ‘MERIMEE: A simulation software to study diesel engines used for military propulsion’ ASME Paper ICEF 2002-494, ASME Conference Proceedings ICE 39 2002
- Shayler P J Chick J P Hayden D Yuen R Ma T ‘Progress on modelling engine thermal behaviour for VTMS applications’ SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines 106 2008 2019 1997
- Shayler P J Hayden D Ma T ‘Exhaust system heat transfer and catalytic convertor performance’ SAE Paper 1999-01-0453 , SAE Congress Detroit 1st-4th March 1999 SAE Transactions, Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 108 1999